Re: Will Tony apologize?? (...

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize?? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
FromTony Cooper
Date05/02/2014 22:20 (05/02/2014 16:20)
Message-ID<iqt7m9p3n7mlttna2520ipe779mjo543c1@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (18h & 12m) > Tony Cooper

On 2 May 2014 16:09:43 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <fha7m99icublkq6ai61sklcoevb6bmsqfr@4ax.com>, Andreas Skitsnack wrote:

1. Quotation He said "Can I help?"

2. Speech "Who goes there?", said the captain.

3. Irony Very nice "slippers" you've got there.

4. Unusual usage Flowers seem to "know" where the sun is

5. Word-reference "standard" is a word of many meanings

6. Titles of artistic works "Lord of the Rings" is a fantastic book

7. Nicknames Jonas "Sandman" Eklundh

As you should know by now, the quote above falls into the "unusual usage" category, where a word is used to describe something, but isn't necessarily accurate. It is often used when someone want to explain something in laymen terms for instance. Or when you can't find or don't know the correct word. Or maybe there ISN'T a "correct" word.

It's interesting to watch you work. Your modus operandi is to make an outlandish statement and then to construct an even more outlandish argument to support the statement.

Tony Cooper
Why have you used "emphasis quotes" around "correct" when you have just provided a list of instances where quotation marks are to be used?

Sandman
I didn't. I didn't emphasize the word correct, I used it accordingly to point number 4: unusual usage.

Hmmm. "Correct" is an unusual word in the concept of finding the right word? Well, that might be true for you. You do come up with some unusual ways to use words if - by "unusual" - what is meant is "not idiomatic in English".

I.e. I used the word "correct" (point 5, word reference) and put quotation marks around it to signify that the word "correct" shouldn't be used, since the basis of the comment was to let you know that there may be no correct word.

Again, that may be the case with you. You *do* very often struggle to find the correct word. Not so difficult with most people, though.

Tony Cooper
You should have used asterisks if you follow your own advice.

Sandman
No, only if I wanted to emphasize the word. There is a world of difference between these to statements:

1. You have to use the "correct" word. 2. You have to use the *correct* word.

The first example is in reference to you having to use a word, that may not technically be correct, but for the scenario at hand, it may be the one that is most applicable.

So you *do* listen to me. That is the problem that I have to point out so often in your writing. You find a word that you *think* is the technically correct word but is not the word that is the most applicable or appropriate for the context.

The second example signifies that there is a correct word, and you have to use it. Some examples of usage:

Emphasis: Andreas: Open sessimie! Sandman: No, you have to use the *correct* word!

- I am telling you that there is a correct word and you must use it.

The correct word *is* used. "Sessimie" is simply a spelling mistake similar to the many erroneous variations you come up with for "illiterate". It's obvious the writer knows the correct word but can't spell it. Probably, because he's using "ear spelling" of a word that is not in his active vocabulary.

If you want to be bossy, you would say "No, you have to use the right spelling.".

Unusual usage: Andreas: The thingamajig won't work! Sandman: I can't help you unless you use the "correct" word

"Thingamajig" is not an unusual word, especially in that context. The reply would not be "use the correct word", but "think harder to find a word that represents what you want to say.".

You have implied that there *is* a word that does represent what is to be expressed. "Thingamajig" is neither correct nor incorrect. It merely fails to communicate what the writer wants to communicate.

You have, by the way, implied that you think the incantation "Open Sesame" was said to open a door. It wasn't. That may have been an inadvertent implication, though. One of those things you say doesn't exist.

In one example you have created both an intentional implication and probably an unintentional implication. Congratulations.

- I am telling you that the word you used wasn't satisfactory, and there may not be one that is correct, but certainly one that works better than "thingamajig".

You are closer here. "Wasn't satisfactory (to communicate what is meant)" is right, but the aspect of correctness is based on a failure to convey the needed information, not the correctness of the word "thingamajig". "Thingamajig" is actually correct as a filler word when the word desired is either unknown or unremembered by the writer/speaker.

Tony Cooper
Also, here's an example of Arnold using quotation marks for emphasis in a post in the newsgroup sci.lang:

http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/sci.lang/2006-04/msg00993.html

where he says: [quote] yes. "idiom" is the term wanted here...[/quote] Not asterisks, you'll note.

Sandman
No emphasis. This falls under the Word-reference category.

Tony Cooper
Yes, emphasis. He is emphasizing that "idiom" is the *correct* word for this usage.

Sandman
Indeed he did, but not by emphasising it. Just referencing it.

Referencing it? What does that mean?

Andreas: Open sessimie! Sandman: It's *sesame*

You could actually go several ways on that one. Asterisks to emphasize, scare quote marks to emphasize, or quote marks to show you are referring to the word in the magic incantation in "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves". Or, nothing at all and leave it a declarative sentence. The spelling is the spelling that Galland used in the translation.

Andreas: The thingamajig won't work Sandman: I think you mean that "door" doesn't work?

Emphasis, word reference.

Perhaps you think that makes sense. It's a clarification by Sandman, not a reference.

He doesn't.

Tony Cooper
I provided - what do you call it? - *substantiation* of his use.

Sandman
Incorrect.

Tony Cooper
You've attempted to provide a smoke screen for your ignorance, but - once again - failed miserably. "Word-reference" has no established meaning for Usenet posting style. "Emphasis quote" and "scare quote" do have an established meaning in this venue.

Sandman
And those that use it are usually called illiterate. That's the point, Andreas.

Usually? By whom? Only by those that don't understand that they are used in a medium where other options are either unavailable or unsatisfactory. Or, those who make outlandish claims.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Sandman (18h & 12m) > Tony Cooper