Re: Will Tony apologize?? (...

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize?? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
FromTony Cooper
Date04/29/2014 19:39 (04/29/2014 13:39)
Message-ID<b8mvl9hh7qmegvl865hbkqk50juek9rmdh@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (2h & 14m) > Tony Cooper
Whisky-dave (19h & 8m)

On 29 Apr 2014 16:46:48 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <mmgvl950pli5vaosl08due5ksktv2hcf0m@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
Yes, and some feel that the Forte's Agent is the measure to which others should be held.

Sandman
And some people think Colonial is a huge camera store. That doesn't make it a standard. A standard is something that can be measured against. One item is not something you can measure against, at least not in the context of the word "standard".

Tony Cooper
You cannot make a store a standard, but you can use one store as a standard to be measured against.

Sandman
But not "the" standard. Use the dictionary.

Of course you can. "The standard" is simply the standard by which others are measured, an whether it's "a standard" or "the standard" depends on the formality and purpose of the comparison.

The standard that you are using is usually an arbitrarily set standard, and set by the person or organization presenting the comparison. That person or organization picks something and that is the standard for comparison with similar things.

I could conceivably do a study of "big box" stores in the US using Best Buy as my standard. That study could correctly make a comparison of the average square footage of a Target store against *the* standard of the average square footage of a Best Buy store. Best Buy would be my arbitrarily set standard.

It is the other "standard" in which something must have an established external basis for being used as "the standard". You've gone to some pains to establish that you are using "standard" in the sense of something that can be measured against and not a standard that has been set by law or established formal criteria.

BSI standards are an example of the "other" standards. BSI standards for, say, screw threads represent an established formal standard for screw threads.

The funny thing is that I actually think you know exactly how the word "standard" is used in this sense. You're just here to argue as much as possible, disrupting the groups as much as possible.

Yes, I do, but in *both* senses. I don't *just* look up words. I may look them up, but what I try to do is understand their use and application and that often means that the use and application has to be appropriate for the context and may mean different things in different contexts.

We are disrupting the group, but it's pot, kettle, black for you to attribute this to me.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Sandman (2h & 14m) > Tony Cooper
Whisky-dave (19h & 8m)