Re: Will Tony apologize?? (...

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize?? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
FromEric Stevens
Date04/28/2014 00:03 (04/28/2014 10:03)
Message-ID<l7vql91mmotn5332a6jmusqdvuo1pdt3n3@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (7h & 6m) > Eric Stevens

On 27 Apr 2014 10:58:02 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <amhpl9pihtod1tgrqrki80r6a3dstkduok@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Tony Cooper
And, Forte Agent does display articles arranged into threads.

Sandman
Not in accordance to the above standard - where threading is determined by tracing articles back to a single non-reply. That's by using the References header. The subject line has nothing to do with it.

Tony Cooper
Yours was a new thread.

Sandman
Incorrect.

Eric Stevens
You are either thick or being dishonest.

Please point us to a RFC wich tells us how the reference header _must_ be handled when the subject header is changed. Go on: I bet you can't.

Sandman
My god you're dumb. Your news client can show every single post as a new thread for all I care. I am TELLING you that the RFC explicitly states that the References header is used to trace posts back to its original post.

Yes, but nowhere does it say that that is the definition of a 'thread'.

That's what the References header does. A RFC *NEVER* says anything about how a GUI client should or should not display news messages, email or whatever. That's why I am calling your broken news client "non-standard" instead of "in violation of the RFC".

Show me where it is "in violation of the RFC". Please quote the actual words from the RFC.

Your news client is so dumb that it creates a new thread as soon as someone changes the subject line, in spite of that post having quoted material from another post in it, in spite of it having a References header that clearly tells the news client what thread it belongs to.

First, as I have already explained several times, Agent gives the reader the option of starting a new thread when the subject changes. Does your favourite news reader allow that?

Second, there are two separate ways of defining a thread and you seem to be able to comprehend only one of them. It is not surprising that now that this has been revealed to you, you consider the one you hadn't heard of before as wrong. My god you're dumb.

Let me ask you - is this a new thread as well, by the way?

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens