Re: Will Tony apologize? (w...

Sandman
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
Message-ID<slrnllv63h.be5.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsEric Stevens

In article <akrul91ojaq0jk20t90b64d3mlfclg73a5@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Sandman
Uh, yeah, good example. You did, remember? You called me "Jonathon", twice:

Eric Stevens 04/15/2014 <5t7rk91srmok1hqu7aj9s91au5u4ft2b43@4ax.com>

"My reaction was that Jonathon might not have been particularly generous in his assessment, he was at least making an honest comment."

Eric Stevens 04/15/2014 <5t7rk91srmok1hqu7aj9s91au5u4ft2b43@4ax.com>

"I think that's a cultural thing. US citizens offer thanks and receive a 'you're welcome' more than most people. I wouldn't regard Jonathon as having gone out of his way to be rude."

And when I asked "Who is Jonathon?", you replied with:

Eric Stevens 04/20/2014 <vqu5l9t1vpvlteva4c4v40ufhq21av1bda@4ax.com>

"Oops!"

And that was it! I didn't troll you about you "persisting", or trying to make it claim that you thought you were talking to someone named "Joanthon". You mistyped and people do that, sometimes multiple times without thinking about it.

Eric Stevens
I never, and never would, call it 'mistyping'. It was an error.

Just as typing "B&H" when you mean "Best Buy" is an error. "mistyping" may be an incorrect term, granted, since it suggest it's a spelling error.

What's more I recognised that at the first hint of "Who is Jonathon".

Indeed - just as I recognised that I had typed the wrong compnay name the first time anyone said anything to make it obvious that I had made an error - i.e. Savageduck.

Sandman
I mistyped five times, you mistyped two times. My mistake was certainly more embarassing, but it's the exact same mistake.

Eric Stevens
You made an error: you didn't mistype.

Fair enough.

Sandman
There was no confusion on my part, I wasn't uncertain about what store I had visited, or the size of its camera section. Mistyping, even multiple times, is not a sign of confusion.

Eric Stevens
But calling it the wrong name certainly was.

Sandman
Not at all. Were you confused when you typed "Jonathon"?

Eric Stevens
Of course I was!

So, you actually thought my name was Jonathon? Is this true? Because I didn't think Best Buy was named "B&H", I wrote it in error, not because I didn't know. There's a huge difference.

Sandman
Did you think my name was Jonathon? Is *anyone* named Jonathon? No, you mistyped, it was an "oops", not due to some form of confusion on your part about my name.

Eric Stevens
What was it then?

A simple error. Or at least, that's what I thought it was. I didn't think you actually thought my name was Jonathon - especially since I didn't correct you and tell you my actual name, you replied "Ooops! Jonas.", clearly showing that you knew my name, possibly the entire time.

Especially considering that you've called me Jonas no less than 15 times before that.

Sandman
Call it brainfart or whatever. It happens. And I didn't see it as cause to call you confused or that you "persisted" or anything. You typed the wrong name, that's it.

Eric Stevens
I was confused, whether from a brainfart or anything else. I was confused.

So at the time, you thought my name was Jonathon? In spite of calling me by name many times? It wasn't just an error, it was a deliberite choice because you were confused?

Mistake: I wrote B&H but meant Best Buy Mistake: I wrote Jonathon but meant Jonas

Confusion: I thought I visited B&H Confusion: I thought your name was Jonathon

For me, it was a mistake, not a confusion. At no point in time did I think I had visited anything but Best Buy. Just as I thought you didn't actually think my name was Jonathon since you've called me by my name many times.

I didn't persist. I ceased at the first hint.

As did I. That's the point. You wrote an incorrect name twice, I wrote an incorrect name five times. That is all.

-- Sandman[.net]