Re: Will Tony apologize?? (...

Sandman
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize?? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
Message-ID<slrnllpor2.31b.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsEric Stevens
FollowupsEric Stevens (11h & 5m) > Sandman

In article <amhpl9pihtod1tgrqrki80r6a3dstkduok@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Tony Cooper
And, Forte Agent does display articles arranged into threads.

Sandman
Not in accordance to the above standard - where threading is determined by tracing articles back to a single non-reply. That's by using the References header. The subject line has nothing to do with it.

Tony Cooper
Yours was a new thread.

Sandman
Incorrect.

Eric Stevens
You are either thick or being dishonest.

Please point us to a RFC wich tells us how the reference header _must_ be handled when the subject header is changed. Go on: I bet you can't.

My god you're dumb. Your news client can show every single post as a new thread for all I care. I am TELLING you that the RFC explicitly states that the References header is used to trace posts back to its original post. That's what the References header does. A RFC *NEVER* says anything about how a GUI client should or should not display news messages, email or whatever. That's why I am calling your broken news client "non-standard" instead of "in violation of the RFC".

Your news client is so dumb that it creates a new thread as soon as someone changes the subject line, in spite of that post having quoted material from another post in it, in spite of it having a References header that clearly tells the news client what thread it belongs to.

Let me ask you - is this a new thread as well, by the way?

-- Sandman[.net]

Eric Stevens (11h & 5m) > Sandman