Re: Will Tony apologize? (w...

Sandman
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
Message-ID<slrnlm13l9.gdn.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsEric Stevens

In article <lek0m9hiedio327kgr0e01em6j329ddvsv@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Sandman
Desire - Person A want to submit a password

android
To fulfill my desire to drive a car i'm required to have a license that allows me to do so...

Sandman
Exactly! Your desire is not to have a license, it's to drive a car. Getting a license is a requirement, something you HAVE to do, not what you WANT to do.

I don't know why this has been so hard for Eric & Tony.

Eric Stevens
Somewhere else there is a person A who desires to have a license to drive a car.

Sandman
Don't combine them. He desires to drive a car, that requires a license. He does not desire a license.

He *WANTS* to drive a car He *NEEDS* to get a license - in order to fulfill his desires.

Eric Stevens
Therefore he **WANTS** to get a license. He would be an idiot not to.

Logical fallacy. Imagine if someone told him that for some reason, he doesn't need to get a license, he just have to get in the car, and someone will teach him how to drive, no license required. Just start driving!

If it is as you say, his reply would be:

"But no... I really wanted to get a license... Can't I get one anyway?"

And then he wouldn't get in the car, because you claim that what he WANTED was to get a license.

-- Sandman[.net]