Re: Will Tony apologize?? (...

Sandman
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize?? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
Message-ID<slrnlmc7t3.o2n.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsEric Stevens

In article <1ioam912o0pnokprvolo5dp4s5bc36iet5@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Sandman
"The boldfaced words were originally typed inside asterisks, to indicate emphasis in text that sticks to ASCII characters"

You don't have to use caps or asterisks, but using quotation marks is non-standard and mocked as only being used by illiterate people, so having the suggestion come from you is endlessly funny.

Eric Stevens
Actually, as you will know, the use of single emphatic quotation marks is standard, as are *asterisks* and _underlining_, although underlining is less common in recent years.

Sandman
Please show me some examples.

Eric Stevens
Read Usenet.

Sandman
So you have nothing? I knew that of course. You do that a lot, join a dicussion armed with nothing.

Eric Stevens
You are flanneling, as usual. Anyone who has read Usenet for more than a few days will know that "the use of single emphatic quotation marks is standard, as are *asterisks* and _underlining_," although they may not immediately realise that "underlining is less common in recent years."

Please show me some examples.

Here's some reading material: http://alt-usage-english.org/quotes_for_emphasis.html

Some people do use emphasis quotes, that has never been in question. But it's usually looked down upon, and certainly creates ambiguity and possible confusion.

There's even a blog devoted to signs using quotation marks incorrectly or unneccesairly: http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com

Some good laughs there, if you're interested. Especially the 'Check out our "new" olive bar'. How old do you think it is? This also touches our recent subject about "unintended implications", where the logical *inference* is that the bar is actually really old, but that obviously wasn't the implication (as far as we know, that is).

-- Sandman[.net]