Re: Will Tony apologize? (w...

Sandman
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
Message-ID<slrnlmbrk4.k3p.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsEric Stevens

In article <2oram954pmo3k7fnbfne837tu18rsdb3ka@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Sandman
Things I dislike about Forte Agent:

* Filtering It can't filter messages in any useful way. I have tons of filters and scores set up to highlight threads I've participated in, highlight posts that are in direct reply to me, set colors on different groups of people (trolls etc). Agent has a "filter" function, but can't filter on most of the headers in a posts, including the References header, which really sucks.

Eric Stevens
That's only if you confine yourself to the simple premade filter functions on the tool bar. If you use Global Search you can read and filter on every part of a message header.

I have some 50-60 filters in my news reader, are you suggesting that I should do 50-60 manual searches for every batch of posts that come in? Filtering and scoring is really important to me and to many usenet readers.

Sandman
* Message list Agent display the author name in he subject column for follow-ups, even if the subject has changed, leaving the author field empty, but still obstructing the hierachy view if it grows longer to the right, forcing you to resize columns to see all posts.

Eric Stevens
THis is a problem only if you have a very small screen.

Not at all. It's a problem regardless. Even so, I don't have my news client in full screen mode, especially not on a large screen.

The way I have mine configured is that each follow-up is offset to the right by three characters from the one preceding it and I have limited follow-up to a depth of thirty. *Normal* threads rarely exceed thirty. I use only a fraction of my screen. On threads like this one I would need an enormous screen to see all posts. That I can't doesn't bother me.

Threading wsn't the issue here, it's that Agent studidly moves the *author* to the *subject* column for the majority of posts in any given view, yet keeps the author column around to obstruct the screen space.

Sandman
* Threading By default, Agent threads by subject line instead of the RFC-compliant References header, confusing its user to think that a new thread has been created when the poster only changed the subject.

Eric Stevens
If the user doesn't like it that way the user can easily unset the relevant tick box.

But it does so by default, which has apprarantly led to some poster to believe that when someone changes the subject, that constitutes a new thread.

Sandman
* No scoring A decent news client should have scoring, meaning that filters apply scores to a post, and under a certain threshold, the post will be highlighted or killed. So you can have a filter that if "Nikon" is mentioned, the score increases by 100, but if "Andreas Skitsnack" is the author, the score decreases by 200, which means that even if Andreas talks about Nikon, I won't be interested in what he has to say.

Eric Stevens
Agent is able to set 'priority' which I think does what you want.

No, it doesn't. Priority can't be set as a result of filtering on all post headers, and auto-highlight andauto-kill on "priority" isn't available. So the scenario I described above is impossible in Agent.

I think you are struggling to find reasons why you don't like Agent.

You may think whatever you like. Here's a post from me not long ago about what I don't like about a Mac-only news reader:

http://usenet.sandman.net/reader/index/read?id=156356

And here's me talking about it a while back:

http://mac.sandman.net/pages/thoughts/2013-10-23/Switching_To_Unison

I have no reason to dislike Agent more than any other news client. I certainly don't want to dislike it because you trolls are using it. I just dislike it, and I listed a number of valid reasons for not liking it.

-- Sandman[.net]