Re: Will Tony apologize? (w...

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
FromEric Stevens
Date04/29/2014 11:23 (04/29/2014 21:23)
Message-ID<akrul91ojaq0jk20t90b64d3mlfclg73a5@4ax.com>
Followupsandroid (17m)
Sandman (2h & 51m)

On 29 Apr 2014 05:13:16 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <hbltl9dh5tn5hc61m1fm5ak5lkcab916pf@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Make up your mind, earlier you said you knew I wasn't in reference to B&H and you were desperately trying to tell me I had the stores mixed up and I "persisted" in spite of that. Now you're saying that you thought I talked about B&H and called it tiny?

Eric Stevens
I knew there was something wrong with your reference to B&H.

Sandman
Again, why didn't you say so?

Eric Stevens
If I had been in your shoes, and people were saying to me what they were saying to you, alarm bells would have been ringing and I would have been delving into Google to find out more about B&H.

Your line length has gone to hell again. Are you having trouble managing your news reader?

Sandman
No, I'm just trying out different editors.

Remember, Eric, that I was talking about Best Buy, I knew there was a Best Buy at the loop, and I knew everything I needed to know about Best Buy. My only mistake was to write "B&H" instead.

Eric Stevens
And people thought there was something wrong with that.

Sandman
Yet no one told me. How many times have we been over this now? As far as can be determined, the only "wrong" people thought was me referring to it as "tiny", and not because they knew I was typing the wrong company name. You know this, Eric, why do you persist with this misninformation?

Eric Stevens
But you were so confident in your own infalibility that you charged straight on taking it for granted that everyone else was confused.

Sandman
Get over yourself - Everyone else *WAS* confused. I wasn't confused about where I had been or what I was talking about. I just mistyped. That confused everyone else because you ALL thought I actually was talking about B&H.

Eric Stevens
So if I keep calling you Jonathan you would regard that as mistyping? Gercha!

Sandman
Uh, yeah, good example. You did, remember? You called me "Jonathon", twice:

Eric Stevens 04/15/2014 <5t7rk91srmok1hqu7aj9s91au5u4ft2b43@4ax.com>

"My reaction was that Jonathon might not have been particularly generous in his assessment, he was at least making an honest comment."

Eric Stevens 04/15/2014 <5t7rk91srmok1hqu7aj9s91au5u4ft2b43@4ax.com>

"I think that's a cultural thing. US citizens offer thanks and receive a 'you're welcome' more than most people. I wouldn't regard Jonathon as having gone out of his way to be rude."

And when I asked "Who is Jonathon?", you replied with:

Eric Stevens 04/20/2014 <vqu5l9t1vpvlteva4c4v40ufhq21av1bda@4ax.com>

"Oops!"

And that was it! I didn't troll you about you "persisting", or trying to make it claim that you thought you were talking to someone named "Joanthon". You mistyped and people do that, sometimes multiple times without thinking about it.

I never, and never would, call it 'mistyping'. It was an error. What's more I recognised that at the first hint of "Who is Jonathon".

I mistyped five times, you mistyped two times. My mistake was certainly more embarassing, but it's the exact same mistake.

You made an error: you didn't mistype.

There was no confusion on my part, I wasn't uncertain about what store I had visited, or the size of its camera section. Mistyping, even multiple times, is not a sign of confusion.

Eric Stevens
But calling it the wrong name certainly was.

Sandman
Not at all. Were you confused when you typed "Jonathon"?

Of course I was!

Did you think my name was Jonathon? Is *anyone* named Jonathon? No, you mistyped, it was an "oops", not due to some form of confusion on your part about my name.

What was it then?

Call it brainfart or whatever. It happens. And I didn't see it as cause to call you confused or that you "persisted" or anything. You typed the wrong name, that's it.

I was confused, whether from a brainfart or anything else. I was confused.

I didn't persist. I ceased at the first hint. --

Regards,

Eric Stevens

android (17m)
Sandman (2h & 51m)