Re: Will Tony apologize?? (...

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize?? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
FromTony Cooper
Date05/01/2014 17:49 (05/01/2014 11:49)
Message-ID<6tq4m9tshfhvpff0aapfdcrq7tda4nu65i@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (33m)

On 1 May 2014 14:58:09 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <u0n4m9pl657plueblnmrg19ufcrv9kltoo@4ax.com>, Andreas Skitsnack wrote:

imply verb (implies, implying, implied) [ with obj. ] indicate the truth or existence of (something) by suggestion rather than explicit reference

Tony Cooper
I did anticipate this type of reply. Once again, Popinjay has pulled out a dictionary and found a definition that he *thinks* supports his position, but does anything but that.

The definition says nothing at all about intent. And, that is the area in which Popinjay is dead wrong. An implication can be made with or without the intent to include an implied meaning.

Sandman
<http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/10/imply-or-infer/>

You're welcome.

Another source that does not state that "imply" means that the writer intended the implication or inadvertently made an implication.

One of the examples at that link does support my point:

"I did not mean to imply that there was any truth to these accusations."

That statement is not made by someone who is silly enough to think that because he did intend to make an implication that there was no implication. He understands that his statement inadvertently implies something.

You should learn from your own sources if you are unwilling to learn from me.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Sandman (33m)