Re: Will Tony apologize? (w...

Sandman
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
Message-ID<slrnllavqp.k4.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (1h & 22m) > Sandman

In article <nkgal9dcnr1t96dasifg5162ua5vv92jhp@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Sandman
For the record, the floor plan is actually pretty accurate, even if individual shelves may not be. But it adequately represents the size of the small camera section in relation to the rest of the store.

nospam
although i haven't been to the store, i doubt the exact percentage is significantly different than 27%. maybe it's 35% or maybe it's 20%. the point is that it's not all that much and actually less than half of the store.

Tony Cooper
What difference does the amount of floorspace allocated to photography products make?

It does when you're calling someone a liar when he wasn't.

If it is less than half of the store's square footage, does that make the department "tiny"?

In this case, yes. Percentages doesn't make things tiny, it's the percentage of *what* that makes something tiny or huge.

If Colonial would buy or lease a separate facility of the exact same square footage that is allocated to photography in the present facility, and fill that space with the exact same amount of photography merchandise, would it then be a "tiny" store?

The space allocated to cameras would be bigger, yes, but there would be lots of space between all merchandise. As Bilbo Baggins said - "I feel thin, sort of strecthed, like butter spread on too much bread".

Would it be tiny in comparison with B&H? Certainly. Would it be tiny in comparison to some store in Sweden? Who gives a rat's ass? Would it be tiny in comparison to the market in the Orlando area? I don't think so.

You're the ONLY one that cares about the size of Colonial. I merely said it was small, which you took great offense to. I also said I don't mind small stores, and it was clear that it being small wasn't mean in a negative way, yet you seem to have taken this very personally.

To the best of my knowledge, the present facility is perfectly adequate for the market it serves.

No one has claimed otherwise.

As a member of two camera clubs, and as a person who has met many of the photographers in this area, I've never heard a complaint or negative comment about Colonial's facility.

Neither have you heard a negative comment or complaint about Colonial's facility in this thread.

Some lament that Colonial does not discount accessory items or have sales other than factory-sponsored specials, but that's not a size issue.

Naturally. But that's a shame.

I suspect that the owner, Don Rausch, would like to have a more modern physical facility in a more attractive neighborhood. (I've talked to Don several times, but not about this.)

Then perhaps he could flesh out and make a bigger camera section where he can show the merchandise in a more selling manner.

However, he owns this building and has since the 1970s. The value has risen, but the location isn't one where the increased value would allow a comparable facility in a better neighborhood to be purchased without adding considerable debt.

Irrelevant, no one has claimed he should do anything about his current store. Only you have brought this up.

On the plus side, the building has adequate and convenient parking. That's a big plus in this town.

Yeah, it had a fairly sized parking to the side, probably shared with other stores on the same street, but some were marked for Colonial's customers.

And this really isn't a store-heavy area either.

Of course, the biggest plus is that Colonial is so widely known and respected by photographers in the area that any minuses are discounted.

If some other arrogant Swede comes to town and says that the store is tiny, I don't think it will bother anyone at Colonial.

Why would it? And I don't know if any "arrogant Swede" ever came to town either.

Especially if that person can't tell a Best Buy from a real camera store.

How do you figure?

-- Sandman[.net]

Tony Cooper (1h & 22m) > Sandman