Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby

Whisky-dave
SubjectRe: Colonial Photo & Hobby
FromWhisky-dave
Date04/16/2014 11:40 (04/16/2014 02:40)
Message-ID<62c68642-97ca-4608-a252-28863c56eedd@googlegroups.com>
FollowsTony Cooper

On Tuesday, 15 April 2014 22:41:05 UTC+1, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 05:32:50 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave

Whisky-dave
Should I ask what you mean by british.... Most people use that term if they can't tell whether a person is scotish, irish, welsh or english. In fact I know one Swedish girl that's been called English after living in birmingham for 3 years, she spoke with a brummy accent, poor girl.

Tony Cooper
Frank is from the UK. That's British with a capital B.

Whisky-dave
Does that make a differnce ?

Tony Cooper
It does with a language that capitalizes proper nouns.

Didn't know that affected a persons accent especailly in usenet posts.

I forget what city he's from, but I do know him from the store, from swap meets, and he's been a guest presenter at a camera club I belong to.

Whisky-dave
OH OK I was assuming Jonas assumed he was British as he was talking to him as that's proabbly the commonest way to tell where someone is from without asking or labeling.

Tony Cooper
I think Frank's from somewhere near Manchester, but I can't remember for sure.

So is likely to have a strong accent that's resonabley identifiable as either british or British, of couse most brits would narrow it down a bit to English or northern as the identifier some further. There was a TV program where they were identifying accents with diferncies of a few miles between them. I can identiy some american or rather American accents sometimes I'm caught out by canadians. I lived with an american for ~6 years who's family rang and visited. So while I describe her accent as American I do know there are many diffent accents across american as there are in Britain, but Amnerican is American and you can be narrowed down to East or west coast, south American or middle america while here in Britain we have England, Ireland, scotland and Wales as a starting point.