Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby

Sandman
SubjectRe: Colonial Photo & Hobby
Message-ID<slrnlkp6sr.1pk.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper

In article <p5kok9l5g0p7h4ci045d0rig6i8qe3s0lv@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Sandman
Prices weren't really good though, and they had a very small number of cameras on the shelves, so hard to browse around really.

Tony Cooper
Small number of cameras?

Yeah.

I don't know what stores you're used to, but I don't think their selection is "small".

Uh, ok?

They are primarily into Nikon and Canon, but that's the market here. Between the two camera clubs I belong to, I know of only two people who shoot with a Sony, and I don't know what models they have.

Uhm... Ok?

Again, I don't know what you are used to. At Best Buy, they have a lot of cameras on open shelves with security cables.

I went to Best Buy the other day, their camera section was also very tiny. I don't mind the security cables though.

You can handle the cameras without sales assistance at Best Buy. At Colonial, all the cameras are behind the counter or in the counter showcase, so you have to have a sales person bring them out if you want to handle them.

Which I did.

Someone who is used to stores like Adorama or B&H would consider Colonial to be pretty dinky, but compared to the other stores in the Central Florida area they are respectable enough in size and selection. Had I sent you to Harmon Photo (the other store in town), you would have thought Colonial to be huge in comparison.

Colonial is, to me, a pretty small store though.

Sandman
No one there had any knowledge or experience with the Sony A7

Tony Cooper
Frank shoots Nikon.

I don't care about Frank. I thought it as sad that such a small store didn't have more hands-on knowledge about the products, which is otherwise something of a defining trait of these store, and usually a great argument to visit them.

Sandman
so I wasn't able to get good feedback, but since the prices weren't better than in Sweden, I suppose that's ok.

Tony Cooper
Colonial isn't noted for competitive pricing.

They had the exact same prices as Best Buy. But that's more SOny price-fixing than competition being hard.

-- Sandman[.net]