Re: Will Tony apologize? (w...

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
FromEric Stevens
Date04/30/2014 02:56 (04/30/2014 12:56)
Message-ID<ihh0m9dibv94srt1n9kl96nkm1sa69loen@4ax.com>
FollowupsTony Cooper (46m)
Sandman (4h & 30m) > Eric Stevens

On 29 Apr 2014 12:52:19 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <ftrul952j5jg1ijue6t01i8h6jmetbfjgn@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

No need - I am questioning YOUR definition. And why can't you answer the question? It's simple enough.

Is a thread based on the subject or the References header?

Eric Stevens
To the reader, it is based primarily on the subject. After all, that's what they are there for.

Sandman
So all these news clients are showing a thread incorrectly:

It's not a question of incorrectly as there is no correct or wrong without a prior definition, which we don't seem to have. It's a question of whether or not it is convenient for the reader.

<>

Yes

<>

Yes, on the basis of what can be seen on screen, but there is a question about the bottom end of the dropper from your post of 2014-4-14

<>

I don't like it.

<>

I don't understand it or like it. But then tin is very ancient.

<>

It doesn't seem to separate the new subject from the old. If that's correct, I don't like it.

<>

It doesn't seem to give any indication of threading, but it's only a small sample. I don't like it.

<>

It doesn't seem to separate the new subject from the old. If that's correct, I don't like it.

<>

Then there is Agent which you ignored: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31088803/Agent%20Thread.jpg It indicates threading although it is vulnerable to small children who muck around with the subject header. Threads are collapsed until although they can be expanded by clicking on the small shield icon to the left. I like it.

Because, if it is as you say, they will confuse the *hell* out of "the reader", since they by default think it's a completely new and frshly created thread.

When you have changed the subject, it is a new thread as far as the reader is concerned.

In spite of containing quoted text. In spite of clearly having a "Re: " in the subject line.

You know better than that. Go read the RFC.

All these news clients, all wrong. Right?

People are wrong too, when it comes to choosing clothes. --

Regards,

Eric Stevens