Re: Will Tony apologize? (w...

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
FromTony Cooper
Date04/25/2014 16:52 (04/25/2014 10:52)
Message-ID<3pskl996qdpquhorb67061vk7be9a0pt9e@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (45m) > Tony Cooper

On 25 Apr 2014 14:28:31 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <o5rkl9t97lclj86nhqdblmavdb21jikv2a@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
Now if you had written that you out-bid Jay Leno to buy this car, the claim would go from sensible to non-sensible.

Sandman
No, it would go from believable to doubtable. There is nothing "insensible" to make such a claim, but it seems unlikely, and you may need an explanation.

Tony Cooper
When you make a big deal claiming someone is "illiterate", it behooves you to write in a literate manner. I don't know why you put quotes around the word "insensible" since you are not quoting what I said, and it is not the opposite of "sensible". It does not have the same meaning as "non-sensible". It has a completely different meaning.

Sandman
Yes, I wrote the wrong word, sorry about that.

Learn to use words, Andreas.

Tony Cooper
Now *that's* ironic. Playing with petards again.

Sandman
Not at all. You have a real problem using words correctly. The fact that I sometimes mistakes

"mistake", the singular is required in this context.

one word for another, and when corrected, admit to it - is not the same as when you use the wrong word and then refuse to admit it and argues for weeks that the English language bends to your current will.

Has there ever been an incidence where you have acknowledged or admitted that you used the wrong word based on one of my many corrections? If so, I don't recall it.

I don't expect you to admit to error because I know your ego will not allow that. However, the sensible course to take when an error is pointed out is to quietly absorb the information for future use and not to argue a lost cause.

What you call "bends to my...will" is simply applying years of use of the language, applying an understanding of the meaning of words, and applying both education and experience in idiomatic English usage.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL