Re: Will Tony apologize? (w...

Sandman
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
Message-ID<slrnlljun1.osl.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (8h & 15m) > Sandman

In article <ce7jl9htg4p52s5ikt5t6r2ef9vn5n962o@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Eric Stevens
To test it, let's do this. Here is a claim from me:

"I drive a 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8"

Tell me, Eric, how that claim should be formulated in a supposed "sensible" way to contain the support for it being factual.

Tony Cooper
That's a sensible claim as written. There's nothing about that requires substantiation unless you have an established history as a person who lies about his possessions. However, you've posted a photograph of that car or one like it, so there's no reason to doubt the claim. It's sufficiently self-supporting enough not to require substantiation.

WTF, how stupid are you? The claim is NOT self-supporting. The claim has NO support. It is just a claim. What you are in reference is *credibility*, where you know that I never lie and thus when I make a claim about what car I drive, you have no reason to DOUBT that claim.

My god you're illiterate.

Even without the photograph, the car is nothing special enough to think that the claim may be false.

Haha!

Now if you had written that you out-bid Jay Leno to buy this car, the claim would go from sensible to non-sensible.

No, it would go from believable to doubtable. There is nothing "insensible" to make such a claim, but it seems unlikely, and you may need an explanation.

Not all claims require substantiation. The sensible ones usually don't, and that was the point.

The *credible* ones don't. Learn to use words, Andreas.

-- Sandman[.net]

Tony Cooper (8h & 15m) > Sandman