Re: Will Tony apologize? (w...

android
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
Fromandroid
Date05/01/2014 09:59 (05/01/2014 09:59)
Message-ID<bsed6hF274U1@mid.individual.net>

In article <slrnlm3v21.lku.mr@irc.sandman.net>, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <bseb7lFu7guU1@mid.individual.net>, android wrote:

android
Further: I don't think that a web (Googs in this case) interface is NNTP client at all.

Sandman
Well, it's a crappy one, for sure. But that being said, it is a client that use the NNTP protocol to exchange information with NNTP servers nonetheless. It's just that us that use proper news clients think it's crap :)

android
You're totally WRONG of course. Apologize to humanity! Really, the Goog gives your web client access to their usenet client...

Sandman
Well, I can't say I know just how the NNTP part of Google Groups works, to be sure. Maybe you have more information about that than me. I'm just saying there IS an NNTP part :)

android
I said that the web interface on Goog Groups is not an Usenet client.

Sandman
Fair enough

android
It's not. It's interfacing a Goog server that has a Usenet client aboard that communicates with Googs NNTP server. Therefore when a user are reading or posting through Goog Groups they are not using a Usenet client at all but a web client that accesses a Usenet client. You are a web designer and should know this...

Sandman
Yah, only problem is that *my* web interface *is* a NNTP client. Again, Google may do this very differently. But when I hit post in my (current) NNTP client (that has a web UI), the web server takes the posted data and connects to a NNTP server and posts it.

Nope. Your are contacting your web server through a GUI that 's contacting NNTP client that's contacting your NNTP server... What information is sent to the client is determinated by the software on the web server. That all those servers might be hosted on the same hardware is muuu or something.

Sure, one could claim it is the script that accepts the post data to be the actual NNTP client, I suppose. But then again, that's not far from how many "native" news clients also work. I.e. they have a UI thread that "posts" data to the underlying NNTP framework.

Not arguing, I see what you mean and I agree.

-- teleportation kills http://tinyurl.com/androidphotography