Re: Will Tony apologize? (w...

Sandman
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
Message-ID<slrnlln3sk.tpk.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper

In article <l57ll911esi7fhiils178h5ufubuplfpeg@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
I don't know where you get the feeling that it's usually used in technical contexts.

Sandman
From its definition, in the dictionary.

Tony Cooper
I hope that nospam never calls your nationality to our attention. Else, we'll think you are a rutabaga if we consult a dictionary.

Dictionaries often provide optional uses for a word.

incidence |ˈinsidəns| noun 1 the occurrence, rate, or frequency of a disease, crime, or something else undesirable: an increased incidence of cancer. • the way in which the burden of a tax falls upon the population: the entire incidence falls on the workers.

2 Physics the intersection of a line, or something moving in a straight line, such as a beam of light, with a surface. See also angle of incidence. ORIGIN late Middle English (denoting a casual or subordinate event or circumstance): from Old French, or from medieval Latin incidentia, from Latin incidere ‘fall upon, happen to’ (see incident). Sense 1 dates from the early 19th cent.

usage: Incidence and incidents sound the same, but incidence is more often used in technical contexts, referring to the frequency with which something occurs: increased ultraviolet light is likely to cause increased incidence of skin cancer. Incidents is simply the plural of incident, an event: the police are supposed to investigate any incidents of domestic violence. The form incidences should be avoided.

Oxford American English Dictionary.

I didn't say you used it wrong, but the dictionary certainly suggest that it is normally used in a manner that you didn't, which is why I asked.

Sandman
You forgot to reply to this:

Tony Cooper
where you have acknowledged or admitted that you used the wrong word based on one of my many corrections? If so, I don't recall it.

Sandman
Sandman 04/25/2014 <slrnllksdj.qg3.mr@irc.sandman.net>

"Yes, I wrote the wrong word, sorry about that."

Tony Cooper
I don't expect you to admit to error because I know your ego will not allow that.

My comment was prompted by the fact that this is the first time I've noticed that you admit to using the wrong word. The above is in the same post, and what prompted it.

Sandman 08/02/2013 <mr-92099F.18483002082013@News.Individual.NET>

"Ooops, I meant "textbook example". My mistake. This was a mistake I made by in my head translating the swedish expression "skolboksexempel" which literally becomes "school book example", but the real translation is "textbook example". Sorry about that."

Sandman 03/31/2014 <slrnljhv5m.m40.mr@irc.sandman.net>

"What was that you said about "juvenile style", Andreas? As I said, I make errors and I admit to errors. I have no pride invested in my spelling or grammar, so I can freely admit to making errors, like I did here."

Sandman 12/07/2013 <slrnla6v6u.sdv.mr@irc.sandman.net>fonts

"Agreed, my mistake."

Sandman <mr@sandman.net> 06/28/2013 <mr-4B1E79.11090528062013@News.Individual.NET>fonts fonts

"Oh? That may very well be! I freely admit not to know the exact origin of "begs the question", and apologize for any confusion."

See what I mean? I make errors and admit to them, not ignore or snip them out, like when you said thsat Lightroom accepts your PS plugins, or when you said that a "requirement is what you want to do". You will NEVER admit to those errors.

-- Sandman[.net]