Re: Will Tony apologize? (w...

Savageduck
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
FromSavageduck
Date04/27/2014 19:41 (04/27/2014 10:41)
Message-ID<2014042710414688008-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
Followsandroid

On 2014-04-27 17:38:16 +0000, android <here@there.was>said:

android
In article <2014042709495021123-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2014-04-27 15:40:00 +0000, Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>said:

Tony Cooper
On 27 Apr 2014 09:10:37 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
This is incorrect. A thread is not "usually" determined by the subject line.

Tony Cooper
Right. Absolutely right. A thread is *always* determined by the subject line. You created a new thread.

Savageduck
Not necessarily. He really would have had to create a fresh post, not a reply from within the same parent post thread.

Actually in this case Jonas did not create a new thread. He might have wanted to refocus the thread due to the ongoing battle of wits the two of you are engaged in, and the offense he claims to have taken over the "liar" issue. He certainly created a sub-thread, by changing the Subject line on April 21, 2014 ID# <slrnll8p8n.sun.mr@irc.sandman.net>

He originated that message using interaction between the two of you by replying to a message from you on April 18, 2014, with Subject line: "Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby" and altering the Subject line. ID#: <9n32l9pj75plp3df0s2poq431i6oouhtaj@4ax.com>

Both messages have the same parent post from April 13, 2014, with Subject line: "Colonial Photo & Hobby". ID#: <slrnlkoaer.tho.mr@irc.sandman.net>

Tony Cooper
From the reader's standpoint, that's why we want threads. The subject line identifies what is supposed to be in the body of the post.

Savageduck
That is not what happened in this case because of how Jonas produced the sub-thread Subject line from a message already parented by the OP.

Tony Cooper
Sometimes we skip entire threads because we have no interest in reading about what is stated in the subject line.

When the subject matter changes (what some people call "thread drift"), a new subject line creates a new thread so people will know that a new subject has been introduced.

You created a new thread, but didn't really change the subject matter. It was just more nattering on about the same thing.

Savageduck
Actually nothing changed other than the wording in the Subject line. All the posts parented by the original from April 14, 2014 are grouped together as thread and sub-thread. There is no new thread.

android
You make me feel like a beaten egg...

So we have actually achieved something tangible from all this waffling about.

-- Regards,

Savageduck