Re: Will Tony apologize?? (...

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize?? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
FromTony Cooper
Date05/01/2014 02:02 (04/30/2014 20:02)
Message-ID<8b33m91h9jd55cilqgrjtc77g01no8led8@4ax.com>
FollowsEric Stevens

On Thu, 01 May 2014 10:03:25 +1200, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>wrote:

Eric Stevens
On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 10:22:03 -0400, Tony Cooper <tonycooper214@gmail.com>wrote:

Tony Cooper
It is not at all unusual to be in an exchange with a European non-native English speaker who is at the 90-some percent level or above in English proficiency. Sometimes is only those letters after the name in the "From" line by which you know the writer may not be a native speaker.

Eric Stevens
A few years ago I became involved in a lengthy discussion with a Swedish boy, aged about 12 years old, who was selling cloud-berries. His use and understanding of English was impeccable. At first, I found it hard to believe he was a native Swedish speaker. I was most impressed.

My Danish nephews took English in grade school (what we in the US call "grade school" and are extremely proficient in English. They both have a slight accent when speaking English, but could pass as native speakers when writing English.

The one who has trouble with English is my brother. He moved to Denmark "temporarily" in 1969 and ended up marrying a Dane, having a family, and not returning to the US except for visits.

He speaks Danish more than he speaks English now, and tends to forget certain words in English. He'll know the Danish word, but it takes him a minute or so to recall the English word. Some words that were not commonly used in the US before he moved to Denmark (like "mall") are the most difficult for him to pull out.

When he does speak English - in our Skype conversations, for example - he's picked up a Danish accent on some words. -- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL