Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby

Sandman
SubjectRe: Colonial Photo & Hobby
Message-ID<slrnll6u15.rul.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (7h & 29m) > Sandman

In article <ck86l9p9c4rnqn59r09bekbsg0nfh9ft29@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

nospam
it's what's on their web site: <http://www.colonialphotohobby.com/layout.htm>

Tony Cooper
Yes, I know. I linked to it several days ago. It is not a scale drawing. It's somewhat representative of the layout, but not at all an accurate representation.

Of course, Popinjay - who insists on accurate statements from others - has made a claim that is not at all clear:

just as I didn't include the size of the entire Colonial store either, since it's some 70% hobby things like model airplanes and such.

Saying "hobby things" indicates he's talking about units of merchandise, but his later post indicates he's talking about square feet allocated to camera products. He's also said it is tiny.

The store is called "Colonial Photo & Hobby" and consists of merchandise related to photo and merchandise related to hobbies. The part of the store that is devoted to merchandise related to photo makes up some 30% of the store, or really 16%.

The store is 15,000 square feet. Even taking his estimate of 30% of the square footage, that's 4,500 square feet devoted to photography products.

I have no idea where you're getting the 15,000 number from, and I also know that a packed store can feel smaller than an empty one so it's hard to judge sometimes. But my office space is 1,600 square feet and Colonial didn't *feel* much bigger than that. You sure you don't mean 1,500 square feet?

If you've been there, and I have many times, the biggest problem in the photography department is the narrow aisles because the gondola shelving is jammed so close together and there's very little space between them and the long camera counter.

True. Especially for overweight Americans, I bet.

If he wants to say it's a tiny store, it's OK though. He wanted to visit a camera store and I provided the name of one and directions. I can't be responsible for his disappointment and don't feel badly about his sneering.

I wasn't disappointed (other than in prices not being lower), and ther has been no "sneering" either. It's all in your mind. Here's what I said:

Sandman Colonial Photo & Hobby 04/14/2014 <slrnlkoaer.tho.mr@irc.sandman.net>

"From recommendation from Tony, I went to Colonial Photo and Hobby, just to check it out. Was a really small store with one half hobby and the other photo-related stuff. Pretty cramped, but really nice british salesman that I talked to."

You confirmed the "really cramped" part above, and you disagree with the "really small" part since you haven't been around to many camera stores presumably. That's ok by me.

-- Sandman[.net]

Tony Cooper (7h & 29m) > Sandman