Re: Will Tony apologize? (w...

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
FromEric Stevens
Date04/27/2014 00:17 (04/27/2014 10:17)
Message-ID<knbol9ha96thbg1mpjs43ue550cefusg7s@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (10h & 8m) > Eric Stevens

On 26 Apr 2014 10:39:27 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <e07ml991unlq3u5e3ehgk1247nkhjhknld@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Savageduck
With mine, Unison, even if the Subject line is changed the continuity and timeline of the original thread is maintained regardless of what is typed in the Subject line. I have to active start a new post with new Subject line rather replying with an altered subject line to start a new thread. So for me regardless of what the subject line reads, or what Jonas's intent was in this case a new thread was not created. Both subject lines are contained within the original thread. < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_665.jpg >

Eric Stevens
Not all news readers behave in this way. Some have default behaviour (either way) built in, with others (such as Agent) it is configurable.

I'm used to a setup where a new thread is started when someone changes the subject sufficiently to justify a new subject header.

Sandman
What you're used to is irrelevant. A thread is a series of messages on usenet that are related to each other via the References header. This is how a standards-compliant news reader should sort messages, i.e. if a message has a Message-ID in the References header, it is a reply to that message.

The standard is to keep as many Message-ID's in the header as possible, and also that the original topic post should be the first Message-ID in the header.

So, if a post has Message-ID's in the References header, it's a reply to another post, and part of that thread, regardless of any other changes.

One can change the subject line, which may change the *subject* of that part of the thread, but that does not in any shape, way or form create a new thread.

Hope that helps.

I can see how it could work that way but in all the years I have subscribed to Usenet (more than 20) and in all the newsgroups I have read in that time, I have never known it to work that way. In part, that could be partly an artifact of the way the news reader I have predominantly used, Agent, has been set up. But the question has been raised from time to time and the conclusion has always been new subject means new thread. --

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Sandman (10h & 8m) > Eric Stevens