Re: Will Tony apologize? (w...

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
FromEric Stevens
Date04/26/2014 10:57 (04/26/2014 20:57)
Message-ID<8brml9543jufk333hn863g3ovfc3a2n91r@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (8h & 17m) > Eric Stevens

On 26 Apr 2014 08:19:45 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <vl6ll9p0qp4muv951elkr36aqft8hmube0@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
The opening salvo came out of your popgun defense of your repeated error. It does take some audacity to claim you didn't "open" it when it's in a thread you opened.

Sandman
Why can't you READ? Why is it so hard for you?? My first post in this thread was not part of any "debate", moron.

Tony Cooper
The thread is "Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)", and you initiated it.

Sandman
It's the same thread. I just changed the subject line. Changing the subject line doesn't create a new thread. How ignorant are you??

Tony Cooper
Actually, it does. The clue is in "was". It is not what is was. It is something new.

Sandman
The subject is not what it was, but the thread is the same. You really are slow to understand these things. I'm sure you'll find a way to argue about this for weeks as well.

Tony Cooper
I don't know how your newsreader presents the threads, but mine places this new thread far removed from the "was" thread.

Sandman
So you have a broken news reader. It doesn't become a new thread just because one of its readers have a broken news reader, Andreas.

Tony Cooper
Anyway, the whole idea of changing a subject line is to re-direct the conversation to something new. So, a new thread.

Sandman
No, same thread, new topic. "thread" says nothing about content.

But 'Subject' says a lot about content.

If you go as far back as even RFC 850 you will find:

"The Subject line (formerly "Title") tells what the article is about. It should be suggestive enough of the contents of the article to enable a reader to make a decision whether to read the article based on the subject alone. If the article is submitted in response to another article (e.g., is a "followup") the default subject should begin with the four characters "Re: " and the References line is required. (The user might wish to edit the subject of the followup, but the default should begin with "Re: ".)

No one even thought that someone might want to continue the thread but with a different subject. You change the subject - you start a new thread. --

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Sandman (8h & 17m) > Eric Stevens