Re: Will Tony apologize?? (...

Sandman
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize?? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
Message-ID<slrnlm9vn1.f0u.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (1h & 29m)

In article <iqt7m9p3n7mlttna2520ipe779mjo543c1@4ax.com>, Andreas Skitsnack wrote:

Tony Cooper
It's interesting to watch you work.

Hope you learned something.

Why have you used "emphasis quotes" around "correct" when you have just provided a list of instances where quotation marks are to be used?

Sandman
I didn't. I didn't emphasize the word correct, I used it accordingly to point number 4: unusual usage.

Tony Cooper
Hmmm. "Correct" is an unusual word in the concept of finding the right word?

See below, what you ignored:

Sandman
I.e. I used the word "correct" (point 5, word reference) and put quotation marks around it to signify that the word "correct" shouldn't be used, since the basis of the comment was to let you know that there may be no correct word.

Tony Cooper
Again, that may be the case with you. You *do* very often struggle to find the correct word. Not so difficult with most people, though.

Don't you mean I "do" very often struggle?

Sandman
No, only if I wanted to emphasize the word. There is a world of difference between these to statements:

1. You have to use the "correct" word. 2. You have to use the *correct* word.

The first example is in reference to you having to use a word, that may not technically be correct, but for the scenario at hand, it may be the one that is most applicable.

Tony Cooper
So you *do* listen to me.

I can't remember ever doing that. And don't you mean I "do"?

That is the problem that I have to point out so often in your writing. You find a word that you *think* is the technically correct word but is not the word that is the most applicable or appropriate for the context.

Ironic, coming from the guy that made these statements:

Tony Cooper 05/01/2014 04:56:31 PM <u0n4m9pl657plueblnmrg19ufcrv9kltoo@4ax.com>

"An implication can be made with or without the intent to include an implied meaning."

Tony Cooper 04/22/2014 07:18:57 PM <as8dl99ia7cnvje70tn8pu82n5u2vaveef@4ax.com>

"No, you support a claim by making a sensible claim in the first place."

Tony Cooper 03/25/2014 08:09:46 PM <sjj3j9tcphc4s5ha6dlibj8h9cv2bgtcl6@4ax.com>

"If it isn't stated, it's ignored."

Tony Cooper 03/17/2014 01:29:18 PM <81qdi9p509anhalqskqa7cqu8d57g8412o@4ax.com>

"Only Adobe can call a plug-in a "Photoshop Plug-in""

Tony Cooper 11/27/2013 04:03:26 PM <360c9956k64fpsu56a911250ggjs4no9qt@4ax.com>

"A requirement is what you want to do."

You're collecting quite the mountain there.

Sandman
The second example signifies that there is a correct word, and you have to use it. Some examples of usage:

Emphasis: Andreas: Open sessimie! Sandman: No, you have to use the *correct* word!

- I am telling you that there is a correct word and you must use it.

Tony Cooper
The correct word *is* used.

Incorrect.

Sandman
Unusual usage: Andreas: The thingamajig won't work! Sandman: I can't help you unless you use the "correct" word

Tony Cooper
"Thingamajig" is not an unusual word, especially in that context.

No one claimed it was. Why can't you read??

Sandman
- I am telling you that the word you used wasn't satisfactory, and there may not be one that is correct, but certainly one that works better than "thingamajig".

Tony Cooper
You are closer here.

I am 100% correct, and nothing you ever write is even close to counter anything I write. You just try to flood the group with nonsense to make it appear youve responded when you've not understood a single thing.

Yes, emphasis. He is emphasizing that "idiom" is the *correct* word for this usage.

Sandman
Indeed he did, but not by emphasising it. Just referencing it.

Tony Cooper
Referencing it? What does that mean?

Look it up. It's a common enough word.

Sandman
Andreas: Open sessimie! Sandman: It's *sesame*

Tony Cooper
You could actually go several ways on that one. Asterisks to emphasize, scare quote marks to emphasize

Only if you're illiterate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scare_quotes

Sandman
Andreas: The thingamajig won't work Sandman: I think you mean that "door" doesn't work?

Emphasis, word reference.

Tony Cooper
Perhaps you think that makes sense.

It's not something I "think", I am telling you how it works.

You've attempted to provide a smoke screen for your ignorance, but - once again - failed miserably. "Word-reference" has no established meaning for Usenet posting style. "Emphasis quote" and "scare quote" do have an established meaning in this venue.

Sandman
And those that use it are usually called illiterate. That's the point, Andreas.

Tony Cooper
Usually? By whom?

By us who aren't illiterate.

-- Sandman[.net]