Re: Will Tony apologize?? (...

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize?? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
FromEric Stevens
Date05/01/2014 10:54 (05/01/2014 20:54)
Message-ID<fl24m9l831mhu483trt3s0245g6n27v2i5@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (1h & 18m)

On 1 May 2014 07:12:24 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <v502m957uo2rueateiugi65pubs2oqt8d4@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

android
If Sandman is an average european scholar then he's spent about ten years studying the usage of english. I think that that effort seem to have paid off... No need for further comments.

Tony Cooper
Sandman's written English is very good 90-some percent of the time. Sometimes he uses an English word that is not the right word for the application, and sometimes he fails to see that certain words have meanings beyond the first line of the dictionary definition.

Sandman
A blatant lie, as usual.

Tony is correct.

Tony Cooper
I participate in other forums where non-native speakers of English contribute. In almost all cases, these writers appreciate corrections when they misuse a word or use a word that is not quite what they intended. They seem to have the attitude that they are willing to learn and go forward.

Sandman
Sounds exactly like me, ...

Haw!

... then. I appreciate corrections from knowledgable people that know more about English than I do.

Nobody knows more about English than you do. If they try to claim that you will insist that they are wrong.

Tony Cooper
Sandman, however, resists correction and goes to great lengths to defend the indefensible.

Sandman
I'm assuming you're talking about yourself here, illiterate Andreas.

Tony Cooper
It must be an ego thing with him.

Sandman
That's what I've been saying about your for a long time, yes.

"your" what?

Tony Cooper
Of course it's understood that "who" corrects him is a major issue with him.

Sandman
Not at all, as you know. Even when illiterates like yourself find an actual error I've made, I'm happy to admit to it.

Except that you are never happy to admit it, so you don't admit it.

Tony Cooper
He may understand that the corrections are warranted and he may take them into account in his life outside of this group. We'll never know.

Sandman
Every actual correction I've received, from native English users and also trolls like yourself, have been appreciated.

Tony Cooper
It is not at all unusual to be in an exchange with a European non-native English speaker who is at the 90-some percent level or above in English proficiency. Sometimes is only those letters after the name in the "From" line by which you know the writer may not be a native speaker.

Sandman
What letters do you have after your name, to signal the same thing?

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Sandman (1h & 18m)