Re: Will Tony apologize? (w...

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
FromTony Cooper
Date04/22/2014 10:05 (04/22/2014 04:05)
Message-ID<f74cl91meih347rj6t987iuq488tf4047a@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (31m) > Tony Cooper

On 22 Apr 2014 05:21:46 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <t22bl99ta67aluto13irjp4c3ipjmsk7qf@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

In this case, yes. Percentages doesn't make things tiny, it's the percentage of *what* that makes something tiny or huge.

Tony Cooper
What? The percentage that something is of the whole makes that something "tiny" or "huge"? You really want to go with this?

Sandman
Why can't you ever read English?

I read, and responded to, the English you wrote. The "what" is the whole. That's what percentages do: they represent a calculated part of the whole. No matter what size the whole is, a percentage of that whole can be a tiny or huge amount.

Tony Cooper
The population of Stockholm's metropolitan area is 2,163,042. That is 22% of the population of Sweden.

So, then I should deduce that Stockholm is a tiny city?

Sandman
Only if you're a moron and don't understand what percentages mean - so yes, you probably would.

Tony Cooper
Some lament that Colonial does not discount accessory items or have sales other than factory-sponsored specials, but that's not a size issue.

Sandman
Naturally. But that's a shame.

Tony Cooper
No, it's a business decision.

Sandman
Which is a shame.

I don't think that a business feels that optimizing profitability is a "shame".

Tony Cooper
I suspect that the owner, Don Rausch, would like to have a more modern physical facility in a more attractive neighborhood. (I've talked to Don several times, but not about this.)

Sandman
Then perhaps he could flesh out and make a bigger camera section where he can show the merchandise in a more selling manner.

Tony Cooper
The store has been in business for almost 60 years.

Sandman
Whatever that has to do with anything is anyone's guess. You just like to hear yourself type.

Tony Cooper
And you presume to tell them that they could operate in a more "selling manner"?

Sandman
And you presume that they are already operating at maximum capacity? Really? Haha.

Maximum capacity? What is that in regard to sales? How many customers can be fit in the store? "Capacity" is size or volume. Using "maximum capacity" in this context is about at the level of writing "haha" or "selling manner".

What a store aims for is maximum profitability and ROI.

Tony Cooper
What do you know of the ROI in hobby products that tells you that increasing the space for cameras would provide a better return than using that space to sell RC models?

Sandman
Who talked about RC models? Why can't you ever read English?

You wrote some idiocy about "Then perhaps he could flesh out and make a bigger camera section where he can show the merchandise in a more selling manner."

Assuming that "flesh out" means expanding the camera section by reducing the space allocated to some other products, then RC models would be the first considered since the RC models are sold in the area adjacent to the present camera area. You should have looked at the representation of the store layout. You wouldn't have to ask another stupid question.

I may be wrong, though. I have never seen "flesh out" used to describe a physical arrangement. It's used to describe expanding conceptual things like ideas or plans. But, then, I have to try to follow your rather quirky use of English.

And this really isn't a store-heavy area either.

Tony Cooper
You are about as observant in this as you were in "the loop" when you thought Best Buy was a nationally known camera store.

Sandman
A blatant lie.

Well, you did state that in several posts. I was kind enough to regard the error as a simple mistake and not a lie, but it was untruthful.

On the plus side, the building has adequate and convenient parking. That's a big plus in this town.

Yeah, it had a fairly sized parking to the side, probably shared with other stores on the same street, but some were marked for Colonial's customers.

Tony Cooper
The area is very store-heavy.

Sandman
No, a small street with some stores spread out here and there. I guess this is why you think stores as Colonial are enormous, you think this street is store-heavy.

Colonial Photo faces on Mills, but Colonial Avenue - right around the corner - is lined with stores and businesses, and that's the "area". Parking is very limited on Colonial, so the ("fairly sized") parking area that Colonial Photo uses is shared by these stores and businesses. You just weren't observant. No parking is allowed on most of Mills in that area.

Tony Cooper
There are two Vietnamese grocery stores in the building to the north of Colonial. *Large* grocery stores.

Sandman
So, tiny then? Your opinion about store size is out the window, remember?

And you are sinking faster than the Grå Ulven and the Den Stora Draken did.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL