Re: Will Tony apologize?? (...

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize?? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
FromTony Cooper
Date04/30/2014 16:22 (04/30/2014 10:22)
Message-ID<v502m957uo2rueateiugi65pubs2oqt8d4@4ax.com>
Followsandroid
FollowupsPeterN (4h & 12m)
Eric Stevens (7h & 41m) > Tony Cooper
Sandman (16h & 50m) > Tony Cooper

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 15:00:19 +0200, android <here@there.was>wrote:

android
In article <2bca1221-e33b-47a3-9d91-c5d130f3791c@googlegroups.com>, Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com>wrote:

Whisky-dave
On Tuesday, 29 April 2014 18:39:49 UTC+1, Tony Cooper wrote:

Sandman
The funny thing is that I

actually think you know exactly how the word "standard" is used in this

sense. You're just here to argue as much as possible, disrupting the groups

as much as possible.

Tony Cooper
Yes, I do, but in *both* senses. I don't *just* look up words. I may look them up, but what I try to do is understand their use and application and that often means that the use and application has...

Whisky-dave
Jonas aka sandman take note, as this is how the English langauge works.

android
If Sandman is an average european scholar then he's spent about ten years studying the usage of english. I think that that effort seem to have paid off... No need for further comments.

Sandman's written English is very good 90-some percent of the time. Sometimes he uses an English word that is not the right word for the application, and sometimes he fails to see that certain words have meanings beyond the first line of the dictionary definition.

I participate in other forums where non-native speakers of English contribute. In almost all cases, these writers appreciate corrections when they misuse a word or use a word that is not quite what they intended. They seem to have the attitude that they are willing to learn and go forward.

I have two Danish nephews, a Danish sister-in-law, and a Russian daughter-in-law who are at the 90-some percent level or above. My daughter-in-law has a university degree in English and rarely - very rarely - says anything that might be correctable. It's only older slang terms that cause her any problem.

Sandman, however, resists correction and goes to great lengths to defend the indefensible. It must be an ego thing with him. Of course it's understood that "who" corrects him is a major issue with him. He may understand that the corrections are warranted and he may take them into account in his life outside of this group. We'll never know.

It is not at all unusual to be in an exchange with a European non-native English speaker who is at the 90-some percent level or above in English proficiency. Sometimes is only those letters after the name in the "From" line by which you know the writer may not be a native speaker.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL