Re: Will Tony apologize? (w...

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
FromTony Cooper
Date04/27/2014 23:32 (04/27/2014 17:32)
Message-ID<uetql99mslig8vvbu81o7lu0i02ql8lm94@4ax.com>
FollowsSavageduck
FollowupsSavageduck (29m) > Tony Cooper

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 13:55:56 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Tony Cooper
As far as I'm concerned, a "thread" is a series of posts in some sort of sequence. I won't say they have to be on the same subject because the posts within a thread don't necessarily have to remain about the same subject. A thread is viewed as a block of posts.

What Jonas did was create a new subject line.

Savageduck
That is not quite what he did. What he actually did was alter the reply subject line to the OP, Subject: "Colonial Photo & Hobby", not create a new subject line.

In Agent, that is a new subject line if you consider how agent lists the posts.

Tony Cooper
That, as Agent views it, places the post in a different sequence in the list of posts and not in any sequence with the posts of the thread before the change.

Savageduck
That might be so. However, even with the altered subject line they are not a new thread, and based on the content in this case, not even a true sub-thread. Just a hiccough in the sequence all related to the parent OP.

Tony Cooper
The resulting thread is separated from the original thread.

Savageduck
It is not in this particular case.

On your screen, but different on mine.

Tony Cooper
As far as I'm concerned, that's a new thread.

Evidently, not all newsreaders treat this the same.

Quite so.

Savageduck
I use Unison and favor v.1.8.1 over v. 2.1.10.

Tony Cooper
Jonas - while he has not stated it - seems to use something that does not break up the sequential aspect of the posts. I don't know what yours does, and I don't know what all the other newsreaders that are used by participants in this group do.

We know that content does not determine what a thread is because we've seen so many threads start off on one thing and then veer off from that completely.

Savageduck
That is a regular occurrence in these rooms when all of us have been guilty of going off at a tangent. However, the original OP remains the original OP until a fresh post is made to create that new thread. All diversions remain tethered to the OP parent post and are part of the original thread, or part of a divergent sub-thread.

Tony Cooper
That leaves "sequence" and "position" as good contenders for defining a thread.

Savageduck
Not necessarily.

Tony Cooper
Jonas created a post that did not follow in sequence or fall in the same position on this - and probably many other - screens.

Savageduck
Actually it did.

On your screen, but not on mine. There is no setting in Agent that I can figure out to allow it to fall in sequence with the other nonsense that Jonas has written.

Tony Cooper
Jonas has made a claim (unsubstantiated) that Forte Agent is a "broken" newsreader and does not follow "standards". (I'm paraphrasing because I can't be bothered to look up his actual words)

Savageduck
I can't speak for Forte Agent as I do not, and have never used it. I only know it by reputation as being a good usenet client.

Tony Cooper
In participating in newsgroups for many years, and in many newsgroups, I've never seen anyone suggest this before. Most of the groups I follow - or have followed - have been groups with participants from all over the globe. Many different news providers and newsreaders are or have been used. Most people regard both news.individual.net and Forte Agent (the combo that I use) as both reliable and at least equal to or better than any other news reader or newsreader.

I don't imagine that Jonas will be able to substantiate his claim, but we may see an "onslaught" of empty verbiage - maybe including examples of ordering pizza or picking up medicines - purporting to do so.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL