Re: Will Tony apologize? (w...

Sandman
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
Message-ID<slrnlm6gpo.5vn.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsEric Stevens

In article <noq5m9pab92dce7panai0hnjlerif55umk@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Sandman
Not "after". I correctly displays that when I posted a followup to the thread at 2014-04-21 02:21, I changed the subject of the post, while displaying it at its correct place in the thread.

Eric Stevens
OK, I misread it.

That's ok.

Sandman
Same here, only slrn doesn't display dates. And the post highlighted is the same exact post of mine as in the other screenshots.

Eric Stevens
It doesn't even seem to suggest there is a subthread.

Well, changing the subject doesn't create a subthread (either), it just changes the subject. Subthreads are created when one post recieves two or more eplies which in turn also get replies, so the discussion "branches" off so to speak.

tin After Tony Cooper's article of ??

Sandman
Same here.

Eric Stevens
Tin is showing it's age.

Sure, these are really old and really proven clients. The ones that were being made when the RFC's were being written :)

pan After Tony Cooper's article of Apr 18 (2014)

Sandman
Incorrect. Pan correctly shows that I changed the subject at "Apr 21 2:21 AM", not Apr 18.

Eric Stevens
Yet another misreading.

It happens.

Knews After Tony Cooper's article of ??

Sandman
You know what, knews' display is a bit messy, but its thread view isn't very clear. I've uploaded a new screenshot that clearly displays how the post from me at 2014-04-21 is displayed correctly inline in the thread:

Eric Stevens
That seems to do exactly as Agent does except that it hasn't started a new thread with a change of subject.

So that means it doesn't do what Agent does at all, right? "What Agent does" in this context is create new "threads" when the subject is changed, right?

Sandman
You seem to be confused by the *ordering* of articles. This is a *threaded* view, with indentation. If a post is under and indented one step, it is in reply to that post. You are in reference to the preceeding article in the list, which is NOT a chronological view at all.

Eric Stevens
Nope, there is no misunderstanding. I made a simple mistake which, once made, I applied to every one where appropriate.

Fair enough.

Question: Do any of these news readers have the ability to show a change of subject as a change of thread?

Not that I know of, no. And if they do, none do by default. Configurability is nice, and to each his own and everything, but Agent does this by default.

Is this the kind of agreement upon which you decide what is standard?

Sandman
It is indeed.

Eric Stevens
So you are arguing that any change or improvement is wrong?

Change isn't wrong, but in this case, the change is in violation with the RFC, so it's certainly non-standard, and I would hardly call it an improvement.

But that's not what this is about, this subthread started out with you claiming with no uncertain terms that, regardless of what news client you were using - when you change the subject you start a new thread. I have not only proven that this is an incorrect claim according to the RFC's, but also shown how the vast majority of news readers handles this.

So, the case is closed, no?

-- Sandman[.net]