Re: Will Tony apologize? (w...

Tony Cooper
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
FromTony Cooper
Date04/25/2014 01:47 (04/24/2014 19:47)
Message-ID<ce7jl9htg4p52s5ikt5t6r2ef9vn5n962o@4ax.com>
FollowsEric Stevens
FollowupsSandman (6h & 13m) > Tony Cooper

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 10:39:40 +1200, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>wrote:

Eric Stevens
On 24 Apr 2014 11:51:16 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
"No, you support a claim by making a sensible claim in the first place."

Eric Stevens
That's a good start. There is no possibility of supporting a stupid claim.

Sandman
True - but according to Tony, the support itself is always contained within the claim itself, if it is "sensible".

Eric Stevens
That's a twisted interpretation which I think you have made up to enable you to build a shonky argument on top of it. If I am wrong, please show me where and how you can justify "according to Tony, the support itself is always contained within the claim itself, if it is "sensible".

Maybe I should offer him one million krona if he can quote me saying "the support itself is always contained within the claim itself, if it is sensible". And add "haha".

To test it, let's do this. Here is a claim from me:

"I drive a 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8"

Tell me, Eric, how that claim should be formulated in a supposed "sensible" way to contain the support for it being factual.

That's a sensible claim as written. There's nothing about that requires substantiation unless you have an established history as a person who lies about his possessions. However, you've posted a photograph of that car or one like it, so there's no reason to doubt the claim. It's sufficiently self-supporting enough not to require substantiation.

Even without the photograph, the car is nothing special enough to think that the claim may be false.

Now if you had written that you out-bid Jay Leno to buy this car, the claim would go from sensible to non-sensible.

Not all claims require substantiation. The sensible ones usually don't, and that was the point.

-- Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

Sandman (6h & 13m) > Tony Cooper