Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby

Sandman
SubjectRe: Colonial Photo & Hobby
Message-ID<slrnll5otu.i52.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsEric Stevens (1h & 37m) > Sandman

In article <rar2l9lnc0fagmp3pvt26rgc0ma1k13eha@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Sandman
Which would be statistically worthless even if we were only talking about one store, which we weren't.

Eric Stevens
Why would it be statistically worthless even for the one store at which the data was gathered?

Sandman
Because it is only one data point. It's like I would ask you if you're feeling good and you complain about a headache and then I use this to conclude that you suffer from headaches 100% of the time.

Tony Cooper
All statistics start with one data point.

And no statistics consist of one data point.

The more data points that are added, the more viable the statistics are.

And as long as it contains only one data point, it is not statistics.

The first set of data points are no more or less significant than the 50th set.

Incorrect. As long as you have one datapoint, the data is worthless, statistically.

Sandman
No, it's not just a guess. It had some hard data behind it, it's just that nospam couldn't remember the actual numbers, so based on memory, he estimated them to be something close to what they were.

Tony Cooper
He didn't even count or test some of the cameras.

Because, as far as we know, his goal there wasn't to gather statistical data.

-- Sandman[.net]

Eric Stevens (1h & 37m) > Sandman