Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby

Sandman
SubjectRe: Colonial Photo & Hobby
Message-ID<slrnll56l6.hne.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper

In article <sfark9d66ohvbab8lqj10v28ganupokflj@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
I was certainly not surprised to not to see a "Thanks for the information" about the information about the store and the directions. Someone with a bit more class would have done so.

Eric Stevens
I think that's a cultural thing. US citizens offer thanks and receive a 'you're welcome' more than most people. I wouldn't regard Jonathon as having gone out of his way to be rude.

Tony Cooper
The strange thing about Americans is that we are generally perceived as loud and rude when we're visiting other countries. We do not have a good reputation abroad.

I don't have that impression at all. Germans, on the other hand... And French...

As someone who has traveled to several other countries on several occasions, I have to agree with this general assessment. I've personally observed it.

Maybe I haven't seen enough Americans abroad (i.e. here), which sort of goes hand in hand with the fact that you don't travel much either. :)

Yet, on our home ground, we are almost excessively polite and helpful to visitors from other countries. Not all Americans, of course, and if Jonas is as arrogant in person as he comes across here, he may find nothing but exceptions.

Says the groups most arrogant person. Ha!

The complaint I hear the most about Americans from visitors to this country is that Americans can be *too* personal and friendly. A Brit from Oxford that I have an online acquaintanceship with recently returned from a trip to the US and his complaint was "All I wanted was some simple directions, and the wanker wanted to chat for 20 minutes and tell me how much his father enjoyed being stationed in England in WWII."

And then be tipped? :)

The only people that are more helpful - as a generality - to tourists that I've experienced have been the Irish outside of Dublin. Ask an Irishman how to get somewhere, and he'll lead to the place and ask if you know his cousin who lives in Cleveland. If he doesn't know how to get to the place, he'll take you to someone who does.

True. But Americans in tourist-heavy places are more polite than in others. Florida is tourist-heaven, so the tipping culture is very much in your face.

Utah, on the other hand...

Eric Stevens
I suspect you have been hypersensitised to Jonathon (as was I) but hopefully with a little effort all will gradually lose their personal sensitivity.

Tony Cooper
I separate online personas from real life. I don't like Jonas online, but I'd willingly provide any information or help to Jonas the tourist.

As do I, but seeing how I've seen you online, I'd have a hard time trusting any information from you, even if I wouldn't assume you'd be as arrogant, insultive and ignorant in real life as you are here.

-- Sandman[.net]