Re: Will Tony apologize? (w...

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
FromEric Stevens
Date04/30/2014 12:19 (04/30/2014 22:19)
Message-ID<pai1m9h14ab8rh86l4b8r0vakif1beu1jl@4ax.com>
FollowupsSandman (1h & 3m) > Eric Stevens

On 30 Apr 2014 05:27:21 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <ihh0m9dibv94srt1n9kl96nkm1sa69loen@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

No need - I am questioning YOUR definition. And why can't you answer the question? It's simple enough.

Is a thread based on the subject or the References header?

Eric Stevens
To the reader, it is based primarily on the subject. After all, that's what they are there for.

Sandman
So all these news clients are showing a thread incorrectly:

Eric Stevens
It's not a question of incorrectly as there is no correct or wrong without a prior definition, which we don't seem to have.

Sandman
You *just* said:

"To the reader, it is based primarly on the subject".

That's you saying that the correct way is for the news client to thread posts by the subject, since that's supposedly how threading should be done "for the reader". Stop trying to weasel.

Eric Stevens
It's a question of whether or not it is convenient for the reader.

Sandman
No, "for the reader", it *IS* based. Not "it *MAY* be *convenient*".