Re: Will Tony apologize?? (...

Sandman
SubjectRe: Will Tony apologize?? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby)
Message-ID<slrnlm4tcm.31q.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsEric Stevens (7h & 28m) > Sandman

In article <6tq4m9tshfhvpff0aapfdcrq7tda4nu65i@4ax.com>, Andreas Skitsnack wrote:

Sandman
imply verb (implies, implying, implied) [ with obj. ] indicate the truth or existence of (something) by suggestion rather than explicit reference

Tony Cooper
I did anticipate this type of reply. Once again, Popinjay has pulled out a dictionary and found a definition that he *thinks* supports his position, but does anything but that.

The definition says nothing at all about intent. And, that is the area in which Popinjay is dead wrong. An implication can be made with or without the intent to include an implied meaning.

Sandman
<http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/10/imply-or-infer/>

You're welcome.

Tony Cooper
Another source that does not state that "imply" means that the writer intended the implication or inadvertently made an implication.

One of the examples at that link does support my point:

"I did not mean to imply that there was any truth to these accusations."

That statement is not made by someone who is silly enough to think that because he did intend to make an implication that there was no implication.

Is there no end to your illiteracy? That is spoken by someone saying that there was no intended meaning. It is usually said when someone has inferred something that was not implied.

Sandman: Andreas can't understand simple English Andreas: Why are you implying I can't understand anything? Sandman: I didn't mean to imply that you can't understand anything.

Now, go lick your wounds and pretend this subthread never occured. You've made enough fool of yourself already.

"If a speaker or writer implies something, they are suggesting it in an indirect way rather than making an explicit statement."

-- Sandman[.net]

Eric Stevens (7h & 28m) > Sandman