Re: An Apology - Was Re: co...

Sandman
SubjectRe: An Apology - Was Re: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
Message-ID<slrnlb84ia.nrp.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsEric Stevens
FollowupsEric Stevens (14h & 1m) > Sandman

In article <uus7b91khujotm7ftr7acttr5onnrg69i8@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Sandman
Incorrect. The conclusion that you are lying is based on your inability to provide substantiation, period.

Eric Stevens
Well, when you ask for the engineering certificates of racing drivers I know you are not seriously looking for evidence of their technical competence: either that or you think that all skills can engrained by training. Either way, there is no point in trying to satisfy you.

You'd have a point if you had provided another, equally viable, support. Which of course you didn't. I even told you that I just wanted to share in on the source of your intel, the information you used when you made the explicit claim of *ALL* "successful" drivers. You weren't able to provide *ANY* support for this claim. This was an *assumption* on your part and should have been phrased as such.

However, when you first started telling me I was lying you never even asked for evidence or gave me the chance to produce it.

Incorrect. I spent some two weeks asking you to back up your claims. You failed.

Sandman
Which would be a viable option, if what you said was true. Since what you said concerned knowledge on my part, I knew for a fact from the outset that your claim was untrue, so there was no possible scenario where you said something true and then were unable to support it.

Eric Stevens
So, from the beginning, you prejudged my veracity.

No, I knew you were wrong, I didn't "prejudge" you. You made a claim about me that was false, full stop. I asked you to support the claim in a vain attempt to show you that you CAN'T support it because it is false, and a normal person would have promptly admitted to his error. But you're no normal person.

This was obvious and I am glad you have made it unnecessary for me to go round and round in circles to establish the point. Maybe that's why you never asked me for supporting evidence.

Apart from the multitude of times I explicitly told you to support your claim, that is.

Sandman
And even if we hypothetically say that your claim WAS true and you couldn't support it, an honest person would retract his claim nonetheless. If you can't support it, don't make the claim. It's as easy as that.

Eric Stevens
That's not how the real world works. If I know my claim is right I'm not going to withdraw it, even if I can't come up with supporting evidence at this instant.

This is exactly how the world works. If you make statements as facts, you will be asked to support them. Failure to do so doesn't make them false, but it means they're not facts. Facts need proof, full stop. Without proof they are not facts, then they are assumptions, theories and guesses and should always be presented as such.

What you are saying is that the reality of any part of the universe stands or falls with my ability to substantiate it. Things can be true even if you cannot prove it at the time.

Sandman
They can - but one should not state them as facts if one cannot substantiate them. You may make claims about your opinions and guesses and assumptions as much as you like and no one would hold you to prove them. But when you continually make explicit claims and state them as facts, whilst failing to support them with anything, that makes you an idiot or a liar. Take your pick.

Eric Stevens
If only that was an accurate statement of the situation ...

It is. You made a statement as a fact, and failed to support it, and then failed to retract or reword your statement.

I thought that at the very least that was worth at least a wry grin.

Sandman
I thought it was you needlessly dragging up old arguments in an effort to spite me - i.e. troll.

Eric Stevens
You are unduly sensitive.

Sandman
How so? You are a troll and a proven liar. Why would I give you ANY leeway? I'd say I was *duly* sensitive towards your game playing, trolling and lying and you utter inability to read and comprehend written English.

Eric Stevens
Humph! I will pit my understanding of English against yours at any time, but not with you as the judge.

Haha, of course not. You'd enlist the help of your illiterate troll buddy Andreas Skitsnack. Perhaps Peter will join you to misrepresent the English language as well?

-- Sandman[.net]

Eric Stevens (14h & 1m) > Sandman