Re: converting raw images f...

Savageduck
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromSavageduck
Date12/03/2013 06:42 (12/02/2013 21:42)
Message-ID<2013120221423821167-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
FollowsFloyd L. Davidson
Followupsnospam (33m)

On 2013-12-03 01:09:11 +0000, floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) said:

Floyd L. Davidson
Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2013-12-02 15:14:38 +0000, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>said:

Sandman
In article <016p99ljucsvm9d5l1h0gucsv84m2tjgqh@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

Savageduck
There are several Floyd centric elements to this sub-thread:

Floyd L. Davidson
These are Sandman/nospam/Tony Cooper/Savageduck centric fables for the most part. Other than tacking my name to it, most has very little to do with anything I've ever said. It has more to do with what I *don't* say and you all then imagine.

Perhaps.

Savageduck
1. Floyd has knowledge & experience in the technical World in areas few of us could challenge.

2. Floyd has been outspoken on his choice of OS and the tools he uses for image post processing. He holds negative opinions based on misinformation regarding at least one alternative OS, OSX, opinions he has formulated without admitting having ever been exposed to, or having used OSX.

Floyd L. Davidson
"Without admitting" does not mean no exposure. It is hilarious to see the bunch of you claim I made these decisions you worry about by refusing to learn and without ever testing.

Then why is it you get so much regarding OSX so very wrong?

Savageduck
3. Floyd claims he can do all that can be done in Photoshop and ACR using his methods,

Floyd L. Davidson
When you have to fabricate a statement like that it's very telling. Just another of many fabrication on your part...

Where's the fabrication? That isn't your claim?

Savageduck
and yet he remains ignorant of what can actually be achieved with other than his methods, because he has not(or claims he has not) ever made the comparison between his methods and alternative graphics software such as Photoshop.

Floyd L. Davidson
Your conclusion is based on another fabrication. Why do you find it necessary to cook up things I've never said and attribute them to me?

So, when have you used Photoshop to make the comparison which led you to believe you way was the way to go? When did you sit down with a Mac of any type running OSX to develop the misconceptions you have regarding OSX? You have led us to believe that Adobe products have never darkened your door, and the only operating system you will run is Linux. ...or have you been fibbing to us?

It should be extremely obvious that I've been comparing what can be done with a variety of software packages for at least the past couple decades. What I have said is that I've never owned and do not use the software that you do. Not that I have no idea what it does, and certainly not that I am unable to even get it to work.

Well if you can get it to work you should take a look at what is available today, (as a trial) instead of sprouting about your script writing skills and demeaning those of us who don't, choose your road. Then reject it.

Savageduck
Even with my strong opinions I have attempted to use and compare GIMP with my other choices. It is Floyd who claims his method is superior to all others, it certainly gets the job done to his satisfaction. I suppose that is all that matters.

Floyd L. Davidson
If you have merely "attempted" to use GIMP, it appears your ability to critique anything about it is invalid based on lack of necessary skills or background.

My "attempt" to use GIMP was an honest one, and it was not a single attempt. I have even retried it after downloading updates. For me it is lacking and does not meet my expectations of how a polished graphics editor should function, and it lacks many features which make my work easier, but that is just me.

Since some people are quite able to use it at least as well as anything you can do,

Now that is an assumption on your part regarding my particular skills with my graphics editors of choice Lightroom & Photoshop.

if you can't even get past an "attempt" then perhaps some other area is where you should expound on your expertise?

See above.

Savageduck
4. We know that Floyd actually owns and uses some very good photographic equipment. Some of Floyd's kit mirrors equipment used by Sandman (a selection of Nikon cameras and lenses). He uses this equipment to shoot images in some of the harshest conditions on the planet. However he is not exactly producing NatGeo qualifying images, he is certainly not producing any better work than most of the regulars contributing to this NG.

Floyd L. Davidson
A very poor observation on your part.

You don't use Nikon equipment, past and present, D2, D700, D3, D4, D800? You don't shoot images in some of the harshest conditions on the planet? ...or is Barrow a tropical paradise? You haven't presented any NatGeo qualifying images for us to praise, or did we miss something? Beyond the location subject material and a few of the wildlife shots there is nothing exceptional to be found in what you have shown us.

Now what makes that a poor observation, ...or are you insulting my powers of observation?

Savageduck
5. He maintains a web page where a selection of his images can viewed by any of us. What is evident is the images Floyd produces and shows us are not much better than many shown here by others, and many are for

Floyd L. Davidson
So it's "not *much* better"; but your evaluation is that it is better.

In some cases better, in others not so much.

Thank you. However, I don't claim that the photography on that web page is "better" than anything in specific, except I have made an effort at making it the best display available on the web showing what Barrow Alaska is.

...and it has been quite informative.

If I've only shot one picture of the Midnight Sun on June 21st in the past ten years, and that was made with an old Sony FD91 that captured 1024x758 JPEG images on a floppy disk, I have no hesitation in putting it on my webpage. Indeed, for the past ten years that has been the front page highlighted image! (I like it too!)

Perhaps you should take another try at that shot.

Savageduck
reasons beyond the equipment used, not particularly special. The environment and many of his subjects are unique to his locale. His images range from "great capture" to an "OK snapshot", to "why did he bother with that?" In that He has produced much the same quality of images that most of us have, some great, but most ordinary and not particularly special other than the lock he has on location.

Floyd L. Davidson
Did you take note of the title to that web page? "Images of Barrow Alaska", and there is no place where I suggest these are intended to be Fine Fotos, or anything other than an album of snapshots meant to show what Barrow Alaska is.

Aah! local snapshots, and here I was thinking this was supposed to be a window into your photographic artistry.

It should also be obvious from looking at it that if I wanted to produce a web page of "NatGeo qualifying images" it would be relatively easy!

Personally I don't understand why you don't. You might achieve a fair number of online sales of those NatGeo quality prints.

I don't suffer from the insecurities that some do, and don't mind showing images targeted at different audiences.

Nothing wrong with that.

If you visit Barrow you would see examples of what I print. For those I am significantly more critical, and yet there too I allow for the same dichotomy to exist. I basically have a gallery display of fine art photography that is divided into three areas. One area is clearly "snapshot" type images (with a couple of notable exceptions). Another area is more graphic arts than just photography, though there are nearly as many photographs as not, and all of it you can rest assure is indeed the same quality as National Geographic. The largest area is nothing but fine art photography. It's all 16x20 or larger, mostly printed on canvas.

I must add Barrow to my travel bucket list.

The prints are what feds me. The webpage is a hobby meant primarily to help other people.

That's nice.

Savageduck
So the conclusion that I have come to is Floyd can talk circles around me when it comes to Linux and writing scripts, an obvious void in my knowledge and experience.

He owns and uses some very good Nikon equipment, much of which I would own if I could afford it. He uses a personalized image processing method which produces images which are in some cases very good, and in others not particularly good. Pretty much what the rest of us come up with.

Floyd L. Davidson
You aren't necessarily very credible as an art critic... You might well know what you like, but that is not what defines good photography.

Yup! but knowing what I like sure helps me define good photography, so much so, I am able to identify poor photography when I see it regardless of who the photographer is. I include my work in that statement. If I didn't I wouldn't be able to cull my own work.

Worse yet, for a photographer the trick is not just knowing what you like (which is to say being able to pick out the keepers) but includes the more important aspects of previsualizing images and then shooting a scene in a manner that demonstrates your style. Or, to move from just getting random good pictures to purposely making good images in a unique style.

Different issues. There is undeniably good photography, there is undeniably great photography. Then there is the stuff influenced by taste, some might be acceptable to individuals, some not. Some of those shot might be quite good whether I like them or not. I will certainly say that a shot was well executed or the PP was interesting but was not quite to my taste. Then there are shots which will never rise above the ordinary, mundane, and/or downright awful. Many of those images are saved because of some sentiment regarding the subject, but probably should be a reject.

...and that will apply regardless of how unique one's style might be.

Savageduck
He has no working knowledge of OSX and bases his biases against it on mythology he has developed. The same applies to his opinion of choices regarding mainstream digital image editing software.

Floyd L. Davidson
Why do you say things like that? How do you know what level of knowledge I might have about OSX, or Windows, or even Linux? Even more hilarious is applying your fabrication to imaging software.

As far as Windows goes I couldn't tell you, but what you have stated about OSX is not based in fact, and seems to have been formulated behind your own OSX mythology. It tells me and anybody who actually uses, or is truly familiar with OSX, that you are not knowledgable when it comes to OSX.

Savageduck
I have no idea if he would get better post processed results using Photoshop over his custom methods, but he has never made that comparison.

Floyd L. Davidson
Purely fabrication on your part.

What part of Floyd doesn't use image processing software which will not run under Linux, therefore excluding him from using other mainstream digital graphics software is fabrication? It's either that or you have been lying to us.

All you know is that I don't use the same tools you do, and you admit I can produce results that are equal to anyone else.

Did I say that ALL your results were the equal of everybody else's? Many of your shots we have been able to see are good, many are quite ordinary, some are not particularly good. Guess what, that is the sort of thing most of us do, different locales, different subjects, but we all have to deal with our keepers and rejects. Then every now and then something special will peek through the crowd.

Does that tell you something?

Yup! You are not that different to others in this NG.

Savageduck
It is quite possible he is the best photographer in Barrow and he is abled to produce work that those around him are in awe of. I doubt that he gets much criticism of his work of any type in Barrow.

Floyd L. Davidson
More abject ignorance. It is also gratuitous and intended to be insulting. Shame on you.

OK! That was presumptuous of me. You are not the best photographer in Barrow. Who is?

I live in a place that attracts the best wildlife photographers in the world in a steady stream. How many film crews from every big name outfit you can imagine are *you* ever able to compare notes with over breakfast or a cup of coffee? How many of them ask you for advice?

As you think of me as ignorant, why would anybody want my photographic advice? ...and if that stream of the "best wildlife photographers in the World" sat down with you for coffee to ask for advice, I'd venture to say they were being civil.

In fact, just a couple days ago I had an email exchange setting

up some prescheduling for two "guided photo tours" by a fellow who has been published by National Geographic.

That's nice.

I get that sort of thing every spring, between whaling, birds, and climate change.

That gives you something to look forward to in the Spring.

Savageduck
He takes criticism of his methods as "gratuitous insults" where they never existed.

Floyd L. Davidson
Criticism, and even just obnoxious comments, are *not* gratuitous insults.

That is good to know for when I might want to be truly nasty.

It's when you make up stuff about someone that has nothing to do with anything they actually said, and attribute it to them, that you cross the line.

What was made up? You have told us you use Linux, and your own scripted software to achieve your final images. You have told us all about your misconceptions of OSX. You don't use (or have never used) OSX and nothing you have said regarding OSX is based in fact, so why is fabricating that misinformation OK for you?

You don't use Photoshop, or other Adobe software (or any other mainstream software), mainly because you have told us that you don't run a commuter system which would support any of that software. Yet you tell us how your custom software & scripts do all that Photoshop & Lightroom can do while you remain ignorant of the actual functionality and ease of use of LR & PS. Then to support your position you put down those who have chosen a road which differs from yours.

I repeat the question, what is made up?

That's gratuitous. And if it is nothing other than a way to insult someone, it is a gratuitous personal insult.

Why am I not surprised that is what you would say?

It demonstrates both a lack of logical ability and a lack of integrity.

... and Floyd demonstrates his ability to play the gratuitous insult & lack of integrity card.

Savageduck
...and finally Floyd discounts the knowledge & experience that any of the rest of us have (including knowledge that nospam undeniably has) to the point of issuing insults of his own. If you disagree with him you have no credibility, or integrity.

Floyd L. Davidson
Disagreement has nothing to do with it. When you add 2 + 2 and claim the answer is 15...

Somebody here did that? Who? Name the culprit!

We have several people here that are just like nospam, they have some technical background and a large exposure, but they lack the ability to logically analyze facts and develop a broad perspective.

A pejorative assumption on your part, as you have no way of knowing the ability of any individual contributing to this NG to logically analyze facts and develop a broad perspective. I know that in my case that was a vital element on being successful in my field. (Fields actually)

That is, a 10 degree left turn is just a left turn to them. So is a 40 degree turn and a 90 degree turn.

Some of them can't tell the difference between a left turn and a right turn, every move is just a new turn.

However in your case you are making three left turns to achieve a single right turn.

-- Regards,

Savageduck

nospam (33m)