Re: converting raw images f...

Floyd L. Davidson
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromFloyd L. Davidson
Date12/02/2013 00:41 (12/01/2013 14:41)
Message-ID<87y544i1fi.fld@apaflo.com>
FollowsEric Stevens
FollowupsSavageduck (52m)

Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>wrote:

Eric Stevens
On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 14:17:19 -0500, PeterN <peter.newnospam@verizon.net>wrote:

PeterN
Unless something has changed, because the 4900 comes with about 1k worth of ink and the others come with starter cartridges, the cost of the 4900 is less than the 3880.

Eric Stevens
If you leave the ink out of it?

If you leave ink out of it, you get a very wrong idea of the cost.

The size of the ink cartridges is also very important. At Peter's relatively low volume of use it has little effect for him, but part of any cost analysis for a printer has to include the ink usage over some relative amount of time.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but basically printing 300 8x10's a year with an Epson 4880, 4900, and maybe a 7890 too means the savings on ink over a 3 year period will equal the added cost the printer over any of the consumer grade models.

Here's a relative break down of ink costs for a few Epson printers:

SIZE EACH PRINTER $/ML ===== ==== ======= ==== 700ml $280 7890 $0.40 350ml 160 7890 0.46 220ml 112 4880 0.51 200ml 100 4900 0.50 110ml 70 4880 0.64 80ml 60 3880 0.75 13ml 13 2880 1.00

I don't know for sure what is average, but most claims are about 1.5ml per square foot of printed surface. However, it also happens that right now I am running off a print job of 100 16x20's that are using 11.8ml of ink per print according to the printer.

That job will cost at least $543 in ink on a 7890, but it would be $601.80 on the 4880. If I had a 4900 it would be about the same as the 4880.

A 3880 would cost $885 ($342 more than the 7890 cost) and a 2880 would cost $1180 ($637 ore than the 7890).

Now, given the lower operational cost, not to mention the faster printing, ease of use, and better build of the larger commercial printers... why would anyone buy a 2880, or for that matter a 3880, if they ever do any serious quantity of printing?

-- Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/ Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@apaflo.com