Re: converting raw images f...

J. Clarke
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromJ. Clarke
Date12/02/2013 04:50 (12/01/2013 22:50)
Message-ID<MPG.2d05c8e4ba7456ca98a219@news.newsguy.com>
FollowsFloyd L. Davidson
FollowupsSandman (5h & 48m)

In article <87zjokgdxd.fld@apaflo.com>, floyd@apaflo.com says...

Floyd L. Davidson
nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>wrote:

nospam
In article <87haashulb.fld@apaflo.com>, Floyd L. Davidson <floyd@apaflo.com>wrote:

what you fail to grasp is that on a mac or windows, what takes a click or two, takes all sorts of hoops on linux.

Floyd L. Davidson
What purpose does it serve to make up such silly statements as that.

nospam
nothing silly about it.

your post about how to open a tif file demonstrates just how true it is.

Floyd L. Davidson
A click on a Linux box is exactly the same as a click on a Mac or on Windows.

nospam
not when the apps that receive the clicks do so much more.

Floyd L. Davidson
The problem is that clicking a mouse is a great solution for some things, and a terrible one for others. Restricting oneself to only or to never is equally faulty.

nospam
there is no restriction. both options are available on a mac.

Floyd L. Davidson
Sure.

And in exactly the same way both solutions are available on Linux.

Except with Linux they both work well.

nospam
it's like saying using a typewriter and a word processing app are both the same because with both, you push the same keys.

one is *far* easier to use and more productive than the other.

Floyd L. Davidson
In different situations it turns out the other is easier and more productive.

nospam
in what situation would a typewriter be more productive?

Floyd L. Davidson
You can't read well? I didn't say that OSX was in effect a typewriter.

nospam
the only one would be wanting to write something during a power outage, and if outages happen more than on rare occasion, you have more serious problems than not being able to write something.

Floyd L. Davidson
So what? We weren't talking about typewriters. Don't you understand what an analogy is? It's not an assignment operation, it's just a rough comparison.

Try reading for content, and try to stay on topic. Try a bit of logic!

nospam
camera raw is *far* more advanced than anything on linux, plus there are

many more choices too. if you don't like one raw converter, use another.

sid
What has that got to do with it?

nospam
if you want the best results you need to use the best tools, which are not available for linux. that's just how it is.

Floyd L. Davidson
You make this crap up for what purpose?

nospam
it's not made up nor is it crap.

Floyd L. Davidson
It's both.

nospam
photoshop, lightroom, aperture, dxo, pixelmator and dozens and dozens of other apps are *not* available to linux users.

Floyd L. Davidson
I don't really know, but won't most of those run under WINE or other virtual machine packages?

Doesn't make much difference, nothing you listed there is of any value to me at all.

nospam
one of the most useful features is non-destructive editing. not only does the gimp not support that, but it doesn't even support adjustment layers! photoshop had that about 20 years ago. it's so behind the times it's laughable.

Floyd L. Davidson
Ah, well, I suppose you need them. Stick with programs that have those features then.

How many of those are restricted to using only a single window on the screen, or perhaps two at most. That's an abomination!

How many of those can be executed remotely over a network, which is another abomination.

You really have no idea what you are on about.

Sandman (5h & 48m)