Re: converting raw images f...

sid
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
Fromsid
Date12/01/2013 23:33 (12/01/2013 22:33)
Message-ID<14144390.AtJWIY5k5C@thecrap.blueyonder.co.uk>
FollowsSavageduck
Followupsnospam (32m) > sid
Floyd L. Davidson (1h & 59m)

Savageduck wrote:

Savageduck
I said his choice of OS is a distraction. It is certainly limiting, even though you might not think so.

sid
And I said it wasn't, even though you might think so. There, that's quite straight forward isn't it?

Savageduck
We disagree. Now what?

I think we're going to have to live with it, we're neither of us going to change our minds on it, that much is clear.

The advice he has been given is best described as arcane geekery.

sid
Floyd may well have given a geeky reply, some people like to use their computers in that fasion some do not.

Savageduck
None of that is going to do anything to produce a better photograph, or image from a photographic source.

Well, Floyds photos are fairly universally accepted as being good so I guess that yes, it does work for him.

...but Floyd claims that the best photographers would prefer to do things his way.

People claim all sorts of things, like any one not using osx or adobe products is deliberately disadvantaging themselves when it comes to improving their photography.

sid
According to nospam he could work in exactly the same way with osx if he desired. Using the same software and scripts. osx ..... arcane?

Savageduck
OSX isn't arcane, but its UNIX under pinnings certainly are, and those who insist on dealing with their Macs via the Terminal and Command Line input are as geeky, if not geekier than any LINUX user.

Exactly the same as linux then.

sid
You seem to think that anyone not making the same choices as you is somehow at a disadvantage. That isn't so.

Savageduck
Not quite. I don't believe that the full version Photoshop is the best choice for all. There are other choices which can fill most needs. However, none of those other offerings are as full featured and as flexible PS. Many come close, and I know you might not accept that GIMP is not one of those. I would use Pixelmator, Acorn, or PSE before adopting GIMP as my full time image editor (and I have it installed on this Mac along with X11 & Terminal).

You are quite free to choose and use whatever it is your heart desires and your recomendations are going to based on your choices. No suprises there. But just because you don't get on with a particular piece of software does not make it the wrong choice for others. As we have already established you have invested alot of time learning photoshop and find it comfortable and easy to use. It might suprise you but I'm the same with Gimp and my workflow will be just as smooth and efficient as yours. My images do not suffer because they haven't been edited with and adobe product. Nor do they take me any longer or reqiure that I have any understanding of how my os works.

That has nothing to do with his photographic skills or his selection of subject or camera choice,

sid
So what did you mean when you said

"but most importantly I have a feeling your hardline choice of OS is your real problem, and it is distracting you from paying attention to improving your photography."

Savageduck
I meant what I said. By locking himself out of obvious and accessible solutions, including the one provided by Canon when he bought his 600D, because he refuses to consider the option of another OS, is going to be a distraction. He might be talented at subject selection, he might be a natural at composition, the RAW files he captures in his camera might be the equal of Adams, Steiglitz, Karsh, et al, but he still has a problem, mostly due to his choice of OS.

Well he has been given at least 5 alternatives to his current method so all being well he will find one of them performs up to his expectations. I know that there at least 4 solutions that to me far exceed the supplied canon software that came with his camera. I've been quite happily processing images with one of those for the last 7 years.

Now we know that that is not going to hinder Floyd is any way, but as Floyd has told us we are not his equal.

but his choice of OS. You and Floyd, and all the other fans of Linux can flag wave all you want,

sid
I don't think you'll find that I've done any flag waving at all, it's not me saying you've made a bad os choice or bad software choices.

Savageduck
You certainly took offense when I suggested that he was not going to find a practical solution by locking himself into LINUX.

No I didn't take offense, I said it was ridiculous that his choice of os would be detrimental to his ability to improve his photography. That means that I thought it comical, humorous, funny etc.

...and I pretty much believed that both you and Floyd would react as you did.

What, with sarcasm?

but you (& the OP) will always be limited in the state of art graphic editing software tools available to you. GIMP is not an open source equivalent of Photoshop, neither is Aftershot Pro an equivalent of Lightroom or Aperture.

sid
Not using your software choices is not a limiting factor.

Savageduck
In the OP's case it is. He has a problem which could be easily solved by using the software provided with his camera. He doesn't even have to use Photoshop to solve his problem, but he might have to consider an alternative OS to the one he is locked into.

Funnily enough he isn't locked into any os, his choice is what he is using. He could choose another os but he hasn't. There are software options for his choice of os that will do exactly what he wants and more.

So to fix his issues the OP is going to be jumping through the arcane Linux hoops,

sid
There are no arcane hoops to jump through, clicking icons and moving sliders is the same no matter what os you choose.

Savageduck
There are big differences when it comes to software selection.

What's that got to do with jumping through arcane hoops? There are no arcane linux hoops to jump through.

when there are much more accessable solutions. I can't help him when it comes to those solutions, and if he insists on rejecting what is available because of an OS, all he is doing is exercising his dabbling in Linux and polishing his geek credentials.

sid
But your solutions are not more accessable to him are they?

Savageduck
No,

Ah, we agree!

because of the conditions he has placed on solutions he is prepared to accept.

No because none of your solutions are relavent to someone using an os on which they do not run.

...and so his problem persists.

Well it doesn't though does it? He has been pointed towards solutions that will work with his os, which IMHO is much better advise than "you'll have to change os and buy some really expensive software, and for your osx some expensive hardware as well, or else you be a crap photographer"

Personally I prefer to be able to concentrate on working on my photography, however good or bad it might be. How much improvement it might need, and know that I can do reasonably advanced editing and adjustment post processing using LR5 + PS running on OSX. I certainly don't have a "geek flag" to fly.

sid
So why are you so keen to berate others when they want to do the same thing but with different choices in os to you?

Savageduck
I haven't berated anybody. What I have done is point out that sticking to a non-mainstream OS he is limiting his options for a solution to his problem.

OK, perhaps rebuke is a better word for it.

-- sid

nospam (32m) > sid
Floyd L. Davidson (1h & 59m)