Re: converting raw images f...

nospam
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
Fromnospam
Date12/01/2013 01:08 (11/30/2013 19:08)
Message-ID<301120131908508819%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsFloyd L. Davidson
FollowupsSavageduck (50m) > nospam

In article <87vbz9mtec.fld@apaflo.com>, Floyd L. Davidson <floyd@apaflo.com>wrote:

Tony Cooper
Another poster has suggested availability of more apps. For this to be the case, there would have to be apps on the market that are not already available cross-platform, and that these apps would offer some significant advantages to the apps that are available cross-platform.

What would these apps be?

Floyd L. Davidson
I could care less. It's just not important.

it's very important.

choice of apps is what matters.

Tony Cooper
It's also been suggested, in a roundabout way, that reducing post-processing time allows the user to spend more time photographing things. There's some validity to that concept, but taking more photographs doesn't mean taking better photographs unless you consider that more photographs means better chances of taking a good photography by accident.

Floyd L. Davidson
Another bogus argument.

nothing bogus about it.

What does make a difference is realizing that Ansel Adams was right, we take exposures and *make* photographs. Of course better tools do help to make better photographs. And learning those better tools allows one to be more creative with pre-visualization in the preliminary steps of creating a photograph, when we are engaged in taking the exposures.

not everyone is ansel adams or wants to be, but nevertheless, if one system offers tools that can do the same thing in less time than another system, why not use it?

not choosing the best tool for a task is dumb.

that leaves more time for going out and finding the subjects from which you 'make' photos (another straw man).

Tony Cooper
For the high-volume photographer, organization for selection is the most time-consuming aspect. If that photographer took 1,000 shots of an event, reviewing those 1,000 shots and determining which are worthy of efforts in post is the part that takes up time. The actual post work on the individual shots is minimal if the photographer has decent skills using the camera.

Floyd L. Davidson
Bullshit son. I use a highly modified version of a very old program called XV to sort images. Going through 1000 pictures takes about 15 to 20 minutes at most. Just about 1 per second, more or less.

it's as fast or faster with lightroom or aperture or various other tools.

you haven't any clue what exists outside of your little world.

The actual processing of most of the selected images might take many minutes each.

maybe the first few, as you try to get the best results, but if they're all shot in the same conditions, as is typical with a pro photographer, you can apply the adjustments to the batch in just *seconds*, without any scripts or intermediate files and it runs in the background and even split across cores, depending on hardware.

It of course depends on what the images are used for. When I shoot events I might well shoot up to 1000 exposures, and of those there might be 90% that get batch processed in a relative uncritical way. For that particular part of the production processing and previewing might, at best, happen to be nearly equal.

then it's a couple of minutes for the first, at most, and then apply to the rest with a couple of clicks.

But then the selected 50 or so images that I want to create photographic art from may take 20 minutes each, or 2 hours or more each for the best of those.

and?

nothing unique about linux there.

Regardless, processing is always far more time consuming than previewing. That is probably due to both the tools and talent used for sorting, and certainly relates to the artistic intent for processing.

nobody said otherwise.

The more skill one has with a camera the more likely there will be images that take more than an hour to process.

other way around.

the more skill one has with a camera, the *less* likely there will be a need to do any processing.

if you get it right in the camera (or nearly so), there's lots less to do afterwards to fix the mistakes.

I don't shoot with the intention of ever using a camera produced JPEG image, I shoot to collect data targeted at being processed very precisely and I make every effort to provide a data set appropriate to my workflow.

you say that as if you're the only one who does that.

Tony Cooper
If one OS means the organization can be done faster or simpler, then you'd have a point for a limited number of photographers. But, is it the OS that would allow this?

Floyd L. Davidson
It is.

no. the os itself does not matter.

the apps that are available on the os does.

Tony Cooper
So, how can a different OS make a person a better photographer?

Floyd L. Davidson
There are other requirements. One is being able to *use* an OS to *make* better tools.

good tools can be made for any os, and in fact, it's much easier to do that on mac and windows than it is on linux because there's so much built into the operating system itself for apps to use, especially a mac.

pixelmator (mac only), for instance, is a reasonable alternative to photoshop because much of the image processing in it they got completely for free since it's just an api call. it doesn't do everything photoshop can do but it does quite a bit.

If selecting what has been made by others is the upper limit, it perhaps doesn't make a lot of difference. Of course there are variations on that too, and while some people can never visualize how to put three or four primitives together, or how to generalize a procedure to create a useful tool, others can do that to varying degrees. There are people who write scripts at the drop of a hat, others compile plugins with no hesitation, and some can throw together an entire application. Different OS's make that process more or less difficult, in varying ways at different levels!

in other words, linux isn't better.