Re: converting raw images f...

PeterN
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromPeterN
Date12/07/2013 14:21 (12/07/2013 08:21)
Message-ID<l7v7bb0vfr@news6.newsguy.com>
FollowsTony Cooper

On 12/7/2013 12:19 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 23:30:02 -0500, PeterN <peter.newnospam@verizon.net>wrote:

PeterN
On 12/6/2013 10:48 PM, Robert Coe wrote:

<snip>

Robert Coe
I'm an event photographer, mostly. And event photography consists almost entirely of snapshots. (As does its cousin, photojournalism.) I like to try my hand at artistic work when I have time. But if I'm going to take pictures on Company time, I have to produce what my clients want.

PeterN
Don't denigrate your skills. Event photography is a professional skill that not everybody has. IMHO Ansel Adams would have made a lousy event photographer. If I had to evaluate myself, I would make a lousy event photographer. Similarly, I have little skill in portrait photography. As to landscapes, I am what can be called a schlepper. I do it, like it, and wish I could do it a lot better.

Tony Cooper
I'm personally uncomfortable with these attempts to designate "snapshots" as something different from a photograph. They're all photographs. We use the term "snapshot" to either describe an informal photograph - usually of family or pets - or to denigrate someone's efforts.

What the shooter may consider as "artistic work" might be called a "snapshot" by someone critical of the piece, and what may have been an informal family snapshot may have artistic merit.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion. As I said earlier, it is technically correct. But, when I first made my comment, I set forth a clear context of definition, for the very purpose of avoiding a meaningless: "most photographers" argument, which was ignored.

-- PeterN