Re: converting raw images f...

Savageduck
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromSavageduck
Date12/07/2013 05:01 (12/06/2013 20:01)
Message-ID<201312062001455762-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
FollowsEric Stevens
FollowupsSavageduck (11m)

On 2013-12-07 03:37:57 +0000, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>said:

Eric Stevens
On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 04:43:26 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
On 2013-12-06 08:22:17 +0000, Eric Stevens <eric.stevens@sum.co.nz>said:

Eric Stevens
On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 00:16:16 -0500, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

nospam
In article <l7rjm711ok9@news6.newsguy.com>, PeterN <peter.newnospam@verizon.net>wrote:

however, they don't need to know how to fix the car or tune it to perform the way they want. that's for the mechanics to do.

PeterN
It's hard to agree, less. While you don't have to know how to design and build a car, you can save an lot of money, if you have a basic understanding of the principals that make it work. e.g. On my station car the remote start stopped working and the cruise control wold not stay on. the mechanic was ringing the register, as he suggested what "had to be done." I asked him to test the battery, since I figured the common denominator waas an electrical problem. Bingo!

nospam
i didn't say there weren't advantages to knowing how to fix cars.

if someone knows how, they might be able to fix things on their own and can avoid the mechanic entirely.

however, it's not *required*.

PeterN
not required for what?

nospam
to race a car.

try to keep up.

Eric Stevens
How about wing adjustments, tire pressures, suspension settings etc. All subtle. All important.

Savageduck
How about front-rear brake balance, and so much more. There is stuff which is dealt with by the engineers & mechanics in the pits, and there is stuff the driver has to deal with in the cockpit. Auto racing today is more than seat-of-the-pants, heel & toe work, and gear shift stirring. Note today's F-1 steering wheel and stuff which takes the driver into a different realm from days past.

Eric Stevens
But the driver has a role in finding the best setup.

Savageduck
< http://www.notasmartman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/F1-Wheel-Description.jpg

...or if you prefer something other than Ferrari; < http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/PhotoOfWeek/2011/0313SauberWheel.jpg >

Eric Stevens
How do you reckon it would take Barney Olfield to feel comfortable with that lot at racing speed? :-)

Oldfield would have been apoplectic if he had to deal with a modern high tech steering wheel. As it was he gave Ford a hard time beause he moved to auto racing from bicycle racing, and he insisted on having a handle bar type tiller instead of a standard steering wheel. That is what he used for at least his first season racing cars. Note the tiller on his first Ford racer in 1902.

I have a storey of Nuvolari's first encounter with a preselector gear box ....

-- Regards,

Savageduck