Re: converting raw images f...

PeterN
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromPeterN
Date12/03/2013 02:37 (12/02/2013 20:37)
Message-ID<l7jcjs021cc@news6.newsguy.com>
FollowsTony Cooper

On 12/2/2013 5:03 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 15:55:08 -0500, PeterN <peter.newnospam@verizon.net>wrote:

PeterN
On 12/2/2013 1:08 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:

Tony Cooper
On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 19:43:24 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Savageduck
True, but define "useful" and you will find that some images are posted here as a bit of whimsey, some are posted as an example of a particular event or experiment the poster was involved in or shot. Occasionally an image has been posted to demonstrate a particular technique,

Tony Cooper
Pardon me for changing the subject, but here's an experiment. I spent some time doing some table-top photography a couple of days ago using radical edge lighting with a couple of lights behind the subject. It's harder than you might think because positioning the lights is what makes it work or not work. I was using just a couple of Home Depot clip-on lights and regular 60W bulbs.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Current-Shots/i-5pDpScK/0/XL/2013-11-29-50-XL.jpg

PeterN
I am not really into table top. But I think that image is rather interesting. Keep trying the effects using that method is neat.

Tony Cooper
I did about 150 shots using various items as the subject. The idea is to illuminate something that is clear glass in such a way that the edges are white and the inside is black in the way the unicorn is illuminated.

The unicorn is the only shot that is even close to keeping. The taller the object the more difficult it is to illuminate the entire edge of the subject. The unicorn is about 2.5" tall, so it was fairly easy.

I used a jerry-built softbox to diffuse the light, but my Home Depot reflectors and regular light bulbs don't focus the light well enough.

I got the idea from a fellow member of one of my camera clubs. Here's his:

http://www.aboutphotographyblog.com/how-to-photograph/radical-rim-light.html

That's two exposures, though. One for the radical rim light and one for the lemons.

Back in the film days I played around with point source lighting. That is something I could get interested in. <https://www.google.com/search?q=point+source+lighting&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=zzSdUomSB8vMsQTzooH4AQ&sqi=2&ved=0CFoQsAQ&biw=1066&bih=516>

-- PeterN