Re: converting raw images f...

J. Clarke
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromJ. Clarke
Date12/01/2013 03:17 (11/30/2013 21:17)
Message-ID<MPG.2d046610d65408cf98a1fd@news.newsguy.com>
FollowsFloyd L. Davidson
Followupsnospam (3m)

In article <87ob51l6zh.fld@apaflo.com>, floyd@apaflo.com says...

Floyd L. Davidson
Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>wrote:

Eric Stevens
You have probably already done it but using configuration windows and menus etc. Lloyd uses a script.

Savageduck
So? That is what he needs to do because he is using Linux, with OSX, LR, & PS, I don't need to do that, but I could if I needed to. ...but why go to the effort?

Floyd L. Davidson
You can't. Or you would! At least if you try to generate an effective efficient production workflow!

There are some extremely harsh limitations on using icons for an interface to anything that is complex. And you are bound by that, but I'm not. Your desktop interface was derived from systems that were single user single tasking. Each program went into a single directory. The icon that brings up an editor will always have the same working directory.

That is too restrictive. I use a system derived initially from a multi-user/multi-tasking environment. Instead of each program being in one directory along with all of it's data, I put each *project* into a unique directory. Any program can be invoked from that directory, by any user, and will then have that as it's working directory. I don't mix data, or configuration files for various projects into the same working directory.

With the iconified desktop you either mix the data files into the same directories, or each time you use a different program launched from an icon you will have to manually reconfigure it. That makes chaining the work of multiple programs together unweldy, and causes programs to retain a do everything style that was necessary when the "OS" was just a program loader. (And that is the root cause of most of the security problems with Windows.)

Icon base desktops are a very inefficient interface for a competent users, but have a relatively shallow learning curve for the new or intermittent user.

The desktop interface that I use has a very steep learning curve, but it is exceptionally suited to an every day all day computer user that needs effective and efficient tools and will want to combine many tools in different groupings over different projects.

Floyd, quite frankly you are coming across as clueless. You clearly have not touched a Windows system since perhaps Windows 95 if you think that programs and user data go into the same directory by default and you haven't touched one since Windows 2000 if you think that everything has to be run using icons. Hell, the default installation of Server 2012 doesn't even _have_ a GUI.

You might ask yourself, just how _does_ an office full of workers share the same copy of Office using thin clients if everybody's work all goes into the same folder. But I guess you were not aware that that capability has been present in Windows since 1998.

Oh, and I can run CS6 from a command line if I want to. I don't want to, but I can, the capability is there in Windows and has been since XP shipped.

If you don't want to be thought a clueless buffoon then either familiarize yourself with a current Windows system or STFU about things that are outside your experience.

nospam (3m)