Re: converting raw images f...

Floyd L. Davidson
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromFloyd L. Davidson
Date11/30/2013 13:31 (11/30/2013 03:31)
Message-ID<878uw6nk94.fld@apaflo.com>
FollowsParko

Parko <there.is.an.elephant@the.pantry.door.invalid>wrote:

Parko
Can't offer any insights into Canon's propriety firmware, however...

I hadn't tried that for many a moon (three years back at version 0.7.1, which was clearly a beta version).

It has matured nicely. For anyone who wants a do it all in one program, that looks pretty nice.

It also has an advantage in that they've done a very good job of making use of multi-core systems. I tried it on an 8 core system and got virtually the same speed for a batch process of 10 NEF files as I got with the very efficient batch processing system that I use with UFRAW.

Of course since I am not at all familiar with it I can't attest to how it works in a production environment with a practiced operator, but nothing I saw suggested it would not work quite well. (The big question I would have would be what happens when it is used on a folder with say 500 raw files. But given how well other parts are implemented I would expect that to work smoothly too.)

I'm not enthused about the specific tool functionality, as I am very much in favor of a core set of primatives rather than a set of "magic box" functions. Most people would probably do well with as many magic box tools as possible though.

And the one tool I used with a "curves" functionality was extremely difficult to use, as was the histogram provided.

I certainly didn't see any reason that I would switch over to using it, but from now on when someone asks about what is available that will be added to the very short list that I think are worth looking at.

-- Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/ Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@apaflo.com