Re: converting raw images f...

Savageduck
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromSavageduck
Date12/03/2013 18:42 (12/03/2013 09:42)
Message-ID<2013120309422098502-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
Followsnospam
Followupsnospam (26m)
Tony Cooper (1h & 7m) > Savageduck

On 2013-12-03 17:04:30 +0000, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid>said:

nospam
In article <m56dnUMW68T5RwDPnZ2dnUVZ8rmdnZ2d@bt.com>, Neil Ellwood <cral.elllwood2@btopenworld.com>wrote:

sid
What's that got to do with it? Using a mouse to click about is the same on osx, windows or linux why is that so difficult for you to grasp. There is no awareness or expertise of the os required to do that

nospam
what you fail to grasp is that on a mac or windows, what takes a click or two, takes all sorts of hoops on linux.

sid
Provide me with an example of that can you?

nospam
non-destructive editing, adjustment layers, smart filters and smart collections.

Neil Ellwood
What a pity you don't keep up to date. Must be this OSX thing.

nospam
don't keep up to date with what? the gimp can't do any of that and won't any time soon, if ever.

Just for the hell of it I fired up GIMP 2.8.2 on my Mac about 30 minutes ago. Not wanting to push things too much (I didn't try a TIFF) I managed to load a 3,5MB JPEG without issue. Now I had a JPEG open in GIMP, and my usual smooth PS workflow got dumped. This left me having to work around the GIMP kludgyness and improvise to get close to what I would have been able to do in PS or LR, but only close, certainly not in anyway an equal result. So many of the PS & LR features I take for granted are nonexistent in GIMP, there is no work around they are just not there. This might be acceptable to somebody not having access to PS or LR, but not to anybody familiar with Adobe releases of PS, LR, or PSE of the last 5 years. When it comes to making any sort of comparison the only conclusion I can come to is, GIMP is crippled when put up against PS, PSE, LR, Aperture, Pixelmator, Acorn, and even PSP, or DxO.

Now more than ever I am convinced that I would only resort to GIMP under dire circumstances, and would probably move to Pixelmator or Acorn first if For some reason I no longer had access to the Adobe software I currently use. < http://www.pixelmator.com > < http://www.flyingmeat.com/acorn/ >

-- Regards,

Savageduck