Re: converting raw images f...

Sandman
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
Message-ID<slrnl9p91d.su8.mr@irc.sandman.net>
FollowsTony Cooper
FollowupsTony Cooper (1h & 42m) > Sandman
Savageduck (1h & 56m) > Sandman

In article <016p99ljucsvm9d5l1h0gucsv84m2tjgqh@4ax.com>, Tony Cooper wrote:

nospam
only because he refuses to learn anything new.

Tony Cooper
So what? Have you seen his images?

Why does he need to follow the herd in order to have machine-capabilities to process them any differently?

Sandman
No one wants him to follow any "herd". That's some awkward thinking you've got ther. We are challening his ignorant and stupid claims about things he knows nothing about.

Tony Cooper
Of course he's suggesting following the herd. His position that Floyd should learn something new is clearly saying that Floyd should use something other than Linux and Gimp.

Maybe you need to quote nospam here, because the line above is nospam claiming that floyd *refuses* to learn something new, not that he should learn something new. Again, nospam (and me) is challenging Floyd's incorrect statements regarding things he knows nothing about.

Maybe nospam is wrong, sure, maybe Floyd isn't "refusing" to learn something new, maybe he is just choosing not to learn something new, but that's not the point - he is making claims which requires him to have learnt something new in the past for him to be able to make accurate claims about them.

What it comes down to, in the area of photography, is whether or not the person produces good photographs. Floyd does.

Sandman
Great, if we were talking about the "area of photography" and the merit's of ones photographs.

This is called a diversion.

Tony Cooper
No, it follows the path that I've taken that good photography is seeing what is photographable and producing a good image from that. What goes on between the click of the shutter and the final image is immaterial to anyone other than the person with the camera.

While I don't agree with that assessement on its own, it is also not related to the ongoing discussion about Floyd's lack of knowledge about an operating system.

He's an opinionated, egotistical asshole here, but so are you. The difference is that we know Floyd's photographic output is good and we don't know if yours is or not.

Sandman
And thus, for whatever reason, that means that nospam's opinion is worth less?

Tony Cooper
Yes, it does. We can see that Floyd can take a good photograph and produce a good result using his choice of tools.

But when was Floyd's skill as a photographer, or his skill in using his choice of tools ever in question? Floyd has made a series of outright incorrect claims about operaing systems he apparently does not use. His alleged skill as a photographer does not make them correct.

Nor does our ignorance about nospam's skill make his factual claims any less factual.

We don't know if nospam can do the same.

Actually, we do. Or rather, we know that tools exists for nospam's platform of choice that are as good (and according to me - a lot better) than the tools available for Floyd's platform.

Their relative skill in using these tools are not in contention as far as I'm aware, the discussion has centered around the availability and ease of use of these tools.

nospam has no credibility when commenting on what tools should be used.

This was never a case about "credibility", Tony. Credibility comes into play when you have to trust the words of another person without being able to verify them for yourself. nospam may have made some unverifiable claims in this thread, but the vast majority of his claims has been about factual things about mainly OSX, Photoshop and Lightroom that is easily verifiable by anyone using either of those.

And as a programmer, I can vouch for his claims about OSX's scripting availability if you can't verify them for yourself.

Put your money where your mouth is. If you have good photographs, and one of the reasons they are good is because you have some better processing system than Floyd's, show 'em.

Sandman
Better than this:

Tony Cooper
Anytime you access a large body of work by any photographer you will find images in that body that you don't feel were processed to the best advantage.

Well, that was the image on the very front page of his web site, the front and center image he choose to greet visitors with.

In some cases, the photographer may not have thought the image was worth more work than was done.

If, for instance, it was to be used on the front page of his website...

You don't know what the photographer was going for in the image.

True. But that doesn't exempt it from being judged, now does it?

The photographer may have had some concept about how the final image should appear that you don't agree with because agreement is a subjective analysis.

As was your claim about his photographic skills. All I did was offer some counter examples to your subjective claim. It's not like I had to dig for hours to find some bad examples. I took the front page image and the first image of the first gallery and then I looked in the second gallery and found one that had very sub-par post processing since I felt it was on topic regarding processing tools.

Sandman
I'm not entirely sure why you're giving Floyd so much credit here, Tony. I'm not the kind of person that would try to find faults with other peoples photography, but staying in topic, I can say that there is nothing inherent in Floyds photographs that show any sign of a superior workflow.

Tony Cooper
WTF has "workflow" got to do with why I give Floyd credit for being a good photographer?

Sorry, I was trying to keep on topic here, by talking about the tools available to him on his platform. It wasn't meant to be a comment on anything you said.

Why should I, or anyone, give a rat's ass about how he got to where he did? My assessment is based on the final result, not the steps taken to get there.

As is mine.

But I repeat - this thread hasn't talked about Floyd's skill as a photographer until you joined.

-- Sandman[.net]

Tony Cooper (1h & 42m) > Sandman
Savageduck (1h & 56m) > Sandman