Re: converting raw images f...

nospam
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
Fromnospam
Date11/30/2013 20:49 (11/30/2013 14:49)
Message-ID<301120131449234772%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsFloyd L. Davidson

In article <87txeunr9a.fld@apaflo.com>, Floyd L. Davidson <floyd@apaflo.com>wrote:

Floyd L. Davidson
The OP seems to be well aware that a more functional OS is eventually going to allow him to produce better results...]

Savageduck
Locking himself into a single OS solution in the face of what is minimally recommended by the camera manufacturer, in this case Canon is certainly going to be a distraction of some degree.

Floyd L. Davidson
He doesn't seem to need the hand holding that the vast majority, including you, require.

who said anything about hand holding?

The lowest common denominator when it comes to consumers is not where a perfectionist, a professional, or even just an advanced photographer actually needs to be. But it is indeed where most of them are stuck.

lowest common denominator?? stuck??

professionals and advanced amateurs are not stuck.

Savageduck
My knowledge of GIMP is limited to making a comparison with Photoshop using OSX, and I found it lacking in several areas, but that is just ignorant me. I still have version 2.8.2 installed on my Mac, and I am probably not going to use it again, other than to remind myself why I don't use it.

Floyd L. Davidson
The biggest problem you'll face with GIMP is the different user interface concept.

if by different, you mean designed by geeks solely for other geeks, without any attention paid to ease of use or good interface design or what a graphics professionals need, then yes, it's different.

it's *awful*.

It was designed to be run under X, and by people used to X.

that is completely separate from its user interface.

just because something runs under x doesn't mean it has to have a poorly designed interface.

The restrictions of the MS Windows systems are just as confusing to us as X is to you.

what restrictions? there are fewer restrictions on mac/win because the selection of software is so much wider.

Things like having anything ever run full screen, and having all windows in a single frame. Disgusting!

obviously you have not used windows or mac software. you are talking out your ass.

the choice of full screen is up to the user and sometimes not having distractions is a good thing.

some apps are one frame because it makes sense for that app, but that too is often the user's choice.

in another post, you said:

So why do you respond to questions when you know nothing at all about the answer...

you ought to take your own advice.

Savageduck
I have my opinion regarding my choice of OS and you have yours. (Mine is OSX).

Floyd L. Davidson
I really only have one small nit with OSX, which is the effort they went to to hide access to things like a shell command line.

nonsense. not only did apple go to no effort whatsoever to hide it, but it's incredibly trivial to launch terminal to use a command line, if the user wants.

fortunately, users rarely need to do that. needing to use a command line is a user interface failure.