Re: converting raw images f...

Eric Stevens
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromEric Stevens
Date12/08/2013 03:43 (12/08/2013 15:43)
Message-ID<5mm7a9t0rqltgnjcf6senrbdgul3du2r8f@4ax.com>

On 7 Dec 2013 19:34:36 GMT, Sandman <mr@sandman.net>wrote:

Sandman
In article <pfo4a9dhh839u2rleu7676bqcfe3qsv4rp@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Eric Stevens
But knowing what can be done in the dark room is an essential part of the skills of a top photographer.

Sandman
So there are no young top photographers? Only oldies know what can be done in the dark room.

According to your logic, when dark rooms fade into nostalgic memory even more, we will no longer have any more top photographers.

Eric Stevens
Nonsense. All of this discussion has been in the context of film photography. That's why I didn't mention digital photography or the processing of daguerreotypes for that matter. I was staying in context.

Perhaps I should have said 'were an essential part ... ' but even that would not be entirely accurate.

Sandman
That would have made more sense, yes. And no, it wouldn't have been entirely accurate many top photographers back in the day didn't develop their own film.

Or make their own prints. But they still knew what could be done and how it could be done. They made damned sure that they got what they wanted.

Here is one I know of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Brake

You will see that before he joined Magnum he was thoroughly trained in darkroom work. When he returned to New Zealand he employed Marti Friedlander to do all his labwork for him. She went on to become a top-flight photographer in her own right. http://www.martifriedlander.com/ --

Regards,

Eric Stevens