Re: converting raw images f...

Savageduck
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
FromSavageduck
Date12/04/2013 19:17 (12/04/2013 10:17)
Message-ID<2013120410171872429-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>
FollowsPeterN

On 2013-12-04 17:23:30 +0000, PeterN <peter.newnospam@verizon.net>said:

PeterN

Savageduck
On 2013-12-04 14:43:00 +0000, PeterN <peter.newnospam@verizon.net>said:

PeterN
On 12/3/2013 8:05 PM, Savageduck wrote:

<snip>

Savageduck
You are missing the point and are not prepared to make any sort of comparison yourself. Strangely enough neither are the protagonists on the other side of this discussion.I can't speak for nospam , but I know that Alan Browne, Jonas, J. Clarke, and yours truly have test driven GIMP and found it coming up short.

PeterN
Hey Duck, Do you "know" that they have tested Gimp, or do you know they have said they tested Gimp. ;-p

Savageduck
Each of us have made statements to effect that they have tested GIMP with a less than acceptable result, or attempted to test GIMP and gave up. I am going to make the assumption that they had nothing to lose by making such an admission, and like you were probably telling the truth.

During the course of this discussion Alan explained that he had loaded the latest version of Ubuntu (Linux) on his Mac and had run GIMP, and had issues loading image files and did not actually get to test the latest version as he just bailed out, not wanting to waste any more effort. He has also actually been able to run GIMP in the past and has stated pretty much the same sentiment that I have.

Jonas has also stated he has run Linux, that he actually has experience running linux and has used GIMP and prefers to use Aperture and Photoshop.

Yesterday in this thread, J.Clarke stated: "Well, just to give you the benefit of the doubt I downloaded GIMP 2.8. Everything I tried to open failed with a "parameter mismatch" error. Seems that out of the box it can't open a JPEG without some fiddling.

Googling the problem I find that this has been ongoing since 2002-- apparently the installer doesn't set something up properly. When it does, get back to us."

I have GIMP 2.8.2 loaded on my Mac and I have used it several times, and each time I have done so it has done nothing but reinforce my decision to use LR+PS. To give credit where credit is due, I have been able to open JPEGs and TIFFs in GIMP.

Just to demonstrate that I actually have GIMP installed Here is a screen shot taken this morning at 08:01 with one of my Photoshop adjusted shots which I am sure yo will recognize. This was just opened in GIMP to show I actually have run it. No adjustments were made on this image and I quit as soon as I took the screen shot. < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_438.jpg >

PeterN
I guess my attempt to lighten you up, failed.

Well despite the emoticon your comment had the flavor of a challenge, and I rose to that challenge.

-- Regards,

Savageduck